Notifications
Clear all

Walk down

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dk1204)
Topic starter  

I'm trying to play Five Years by Bowie and it's got walkdowns (I think they are called) from one chord to another. I have found a tab explaining the movement from G to Em but I'm not sure how to do one from Em to A and Am to C.

If anyone could explain this so a beginner can understand that would be great, thanks.

(@alangreen)

I'm assuming that what you've done from G to Em is a run down from the 6th string 3rd fret root note G via the 2nd fret F# to the open string root note E.

Am to C works in more or less the same way, you start with the open 5th string root note A and go via the 2nd fret B to the 3rd fret root note C

Looking at my piano/ vocal/ guitar score, the movement from Em to A is made (in the piano left hand) by starting on the open 6th string root note E, then playing the 4th string 2nd fret E (one octave higher) and then making the walk down/ run down in quavers (eighth notes) on the second and third beats of those bars using the open 4th string D and then the 5th string C, B and A that you played in the Am to C fill.

The basic lesson with fills like these is to know where the root notes are for the chord you're starting from, and for the chord you end up with. If you don't know where to find them, check out the lessons on this site.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dk1204)
Topic starter  

Great, will try that. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Geez, kid. Listen to The Beatles...then take your pick. My fav? 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'. They spent lots of time working on exactly this thread you posted according to my Christmas present: 'An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney' by Howard Sounes

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote