Skip to content
What are riffs? (Ia...

Notifications
Clear all

What are riffs? (Iam a begginer) and how do to read them?

25 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i tired but i have windows xp i doesnt say its for xp.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Just get the latest Windows version. I run it on XP.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Go here: http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php

I also have XP and it worked for me.

ReplyQuote
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

how do u use it? I got it working

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Go here: http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=search and find the Tab you want.

Then download (un-zip) and save it in the PTabEditor Folder.

ReplyQuote
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i cant find the PTABEditor folder where is it

ReplyQuote
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

for some reason when i download it it wont make an icon how do i open it or what

ReplyQuote
(@athf_rules2)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

never mind those 2 questions i cant find the TAB i downloaded

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Okay, you have the Powertab editor working, right? You just need to download the tab.

Download it wherever the heck you want, but remember where you put it. If you don't, it will end up with all the socks and ballpoint pens you've lost, and never be seen again. You'll have to download it again in that case.

It will have the extension .zip. An extension is the part of the file's name that comes after a dot ("."). A .zip file is a kind of container file (stop me if you know this [too late!], but I'm trying to be thorough) that holds other files. In this case, it will hold a file with the extension .ptb. It is the actual tab. You'll need another program, such as 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/ , to get the tab out of the .zip. Windows XP may do this on its own, or you may already have software to open the .zip installed, in which case your job is easier.

Use Windows Explorer to browse to the folder you downloaded the .zip to (you did remember it, right?) and double click on the .zip file. It will open if you have software to handle it. Click the extract button (look for it, its location will vary depending on the program you opened the .zip with). A dialog box will appear, prompting you for a place to put the extracted file. Pick one, and make sure to remember it.

Go to the place you extracted the .ptb file to, and double click it. It will open in the Powertab Editor.

If choosing locations for the .zip file and the .ptb file is beyond your technical abilities, the desktop is a good place to put them. I don't put things there, since it's messy, but you can if you must.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Back to the original question - a riff is simply a collection of chords or notes.......

All Right Now
Sunshine of your Love
Brown Sugar
Born to be Wild
Smoke on the Water
Paranoid
More than a Feeling
Black Dog

all these are built round repetitive chord sequences.......

and just looking at that list, the first few riffs that came to mind,Wes Inman's tabbed the first four for the easy song database.......

And one I like a lot, which I just remembered .....

Since you've been Gone by Rainbow.......definitely gets the award for most original use of G/Em/C and D.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2