Notifications
Clear all

what can i do without playing my axe?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@kawan77)
Topic starter  

So here goes: I went skydiving a week ago. I was making a solo jump from 11,000 feet. Everything went fine (despite a small episode of having to untangle my 'chute in mid-air) but I landed a bit wrong and broke my left arm which is going to be in a cast for 6 weeks. Now being an orphan, I was all alone in my apartment during the holidays. I have been playing with my guitar (as opposed to playing it) for about a year. The thing is I was bored and can't play due to my broken arm. So I thought this would be a good time to start on theory. So all last week, I read theory and other columns on the site (Thank you for the great lessons, David Hodge!!) and now I can't read anymore without wanting to put everything I read in practice!!! Is there anything useful I can do without the use of my left arm? Don't wanna watch any more TV, you know. And have had an overflow of theory this last week!! Some of you guys must have been in situations like this: when you couldn't play but still wanted to do something useful. Please give me ideas.

(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Firstly I hope you get well soon.
How about song writing or listening different types of music, something you would never listen normally ...

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@kawan77)
Topic starter  

good idea. This gave me another idea: These six weeks may be a good time to go over David Hodge's Ear training article again and finally start ear training now. I can do this listening to different types of music as you suggested. I might even start recognizing intervals by the end of six weeks.

And any other ideas? I just want to make these few weeks useful.

ReplyQuote
(@kawan77)
Topic starter  

Anything I can do with just my right hand? GN doesn't have any right hand exercises listed. I can rest the guitar on the cast on my left arm and do some picking exercises. I am pretty comfortable at alternate picking but I always wanted to know what sweep picking means. Can anyone explain it to me?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you have a little 4 track machine or PC recording gear, you could sharpen your imagination. Record some tracks with just your your voice, and work on harmony. Listen to the 'inner music' and see if you can hum it or sing it and them come up with parts. Actually, sometimes it's good to get away from your main instrument because there's too many habits and automatic responses built up by practicing constantly. Being away from it sometimes can get you more in tune with the inner music and then to bring it out.

Best.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You'll need both hands to practice sweep picking. Sweep picking is when you pick a bunch of strings in succession, like a slow strum. You play stuff as you go with the fretting hand. It's easy on the picking hand, the challenge is coordination between the two. Alt picking practice is a good idea, though. You could always be better.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

You could learn to play lefty :lol:. I hear they need some more numbers for their ranks.

I broke my arm my 2nd year of playing, It bummed me out so much. You will be overjoyed once you get back to the guitar. I think it was one of the things that actually got me over the hump of quitting right after I start. I was getting bored with it at the time and just wanted to not play anymore. When I had the cast on I really wanted to play and nowing I couldnt I would dwell on it. I got really excited about the guitar and started to listen to music more, I discovered some great classic bands and Ive been hooked. Good luck and get well soon. :wink:

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote