Clear all

What Does C-C Mean?

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've run across this type of designation on tab where people write the name of the chord over top the lyrics. Another I saw was D-C.

Thanks.

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I can't remember C.C., but D.C. (I think) means 'return to start' indicating that you go back to the beginning and play the piece through twice in total. The full wording for D.C. is Da Capo, so you might see f.g. Da Capo al Coda, or Da Capo al Fine written on a score.

Does the TAB have standard notation included above it? This is from standard notation, you see. If it does, take a look at it. Does the bar above which D.C. is written have a thick bar lin, with two dots on the stave ( in between the middle two gaps on the stave, where the A and C notes would be found if its written for treble clef)? If so, is there an earlier portion of the notation where the same thing occurs, only as a mirror image? If so, it means you play this section only twice through before continuing with the rest of the music (if there is any written past this point). The "thick bar line plus dots" function like a musical version of brackets.

So, if a piece had this

|C|G|C|G(|C|D|G|)C|G|

(where the ()= thick bar line plus dots)

you would play this

|C|G|C|G|C|D|G|C|D|G|C|G|

hth

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Scrybe, thanks for that thorough reply, but I don't think that's it. It's the "(C-C)" and "D-C"

Here is the actual material,

Intro:
Em-C-G-(C-C)

D C G D-C
Things are much worse than what I'd first let on

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Oh. Sorry about that mate. Are you sure it doesn't just mean you should play those as chords/bass notes each lasting one beat each?

e.g. |Em|C|G ' C C| (the ' meaning play the G chord for another beat, so G chord for two beats, C chord on the third beat, then another C chord on the fourth beat)

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Em-C-G-(C-C)

Are you sure this isn't just trying to say to play:
1 Em 2 C 3 G 4 C & C
D C G D-C

and maybe this is:

1 D 2 C 3 G 4 D & C

Is there any kind of strumming pattern notation?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If this appears on tab music, or ASCII written chord patterns, it can mean just about anything.

Most likely it means D-C- means 2 beats or measures of D followed by two beats or measures of C.

It could also mean D MINOR followed by C MINOR.

It could also mean one beat or measure of D followed by one beat or measure of C.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think it simply means that you play C chord two times...Or does it ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Wot de song? - where de tab? :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote