Notifications
Clear all

What practice routine?

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ruffdog64)
Topic starter  

how do you practice? i find my time i have to practice is never the same and i just play the open chords changing between them, sometimes i see how many times i change between two chords i`m having trouble with in a minute and go over a intro for a song i like but i still can`t play a whole song from start to finish would could you recomend ? could you recomend a song that even sounds like it should no matter how bad it`s played(within reason) so i can gauge my progress, many thanks Harvey

(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

Hi ruffdog-

A few things you may want to look at. First there are some lessons right here on GN that discuss practice routine. Browse under the topics of practice and/or goal setting. They should be real helpful. Another resource I have found quite effective in this area (as well as others) is http://www.justinguitar.com . He has some recommended practice routines for both beginners and more advanced players. I have not lokked at the beginners practice routine, but I currently do use the nore advanced one. Basically, he emphasizes that one should apply practice time to several areas in a session. So, for a one hour session I will devote the first 15 minutes to developing technique (for you this could be practicing chord changes), another 15 minutes to learning new songs, another 15 minutes to ear training, and finally 15 minutes trying to develop a new aspect of my playing (I'm using that time right now to go through the podcasts here on GN).

It's important to both learn songs and develop technique. After all, why do we pick up the guitar if not to play actual songs?

For easy songs- check out the Easy Songs For Beginners lessons, starting with the first few in the series. Then you can also go over and browse the Easy Songs Database in this forums for many, many more ideas of easy songs.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@jase36)
Reputable Member

Harvey

Take a look at this article https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/why-should-i-take-guitar-lessons/ it wont give you ideas on practicing but might help you look at the bigger picture.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jase67electric

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Do you receive the Guitar Noise Newsletter? Today David sent a another great email that it is related with your question. He includes a link that can be useful for you:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/tag/practice-tips/

And this is for bass but the ideas are practically the same:

http://playbassnow.com/about-practicing/

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Just make sure that the practice routine you end up with is something that you enjoy to some extent and will stick to. The more you like it, the better the chances are of sticking with it.

Enjoy!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ruffdog64)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your replies, i must admit doing a routine that`s interesting is always going to be a bonus, thanks for the link nuno

ReplyQuote
(@ruffdog64)
Topic starter  

One thing i see as a problem for me is i don`t really have a long term goal, i`ve no plans to be in a band or be a rock star etc so there`s no time scale to which i have to get to a certain standard , having said that i would like to do an open mike session(non singing) one day

ReplyQuote
(@stratslinger)

Open mike session is a great goal to shoot for. For me I like to start my playing with exercises(for speed, ear training, new style, new scale, etc.), and as a reward for my hard work, I spend the last part of my session doing what I want!(jamming on songs, learning a new song, etc.

Are You the Next Guitar Hero?
Master the Guitar Step by Step
GuitarMaster.com

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

thanks for the link nuno
You are welcome! :D

You should have a goal. It's not necessary goals like to play in a band or similar things. For example, you can have goals such as play smoothly open and barre chords, play some solos or play songs by ear. You need to know where do you want to go, so you can define a path to go there! If you don't have goals, you can be switching between different tasks and you couldn't get good results.

Sometimes the instruction books help to determine goals (the writer, usually a teacher, did it for you). Thus, you don't have to select new stuff, you just to follow and advance in the book.

The 'songs for beginners' in the main site is very nice, too. David did a great selection of songs and each one shows a new thing.

ReplyQuote