Notifications
Clear all

What style of headphones do you use?

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wtheriault49)
Topic starter  

What style of headphones do you plug into your amplifier?

There are so many different styles; behind the head, headband, earbud. Is it strictly a matter of personnel preference or is one style recommended over the other.

What specifications should I look for?

Thanks
Wayne

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have a nice pair of headphones I bought at Radio Shack for around $60.
I just liked the comfort, and they seemed to be made well.

I think that is the main thing to consider, comfort. I don't like the little cheap ones you get with walkmans. I like the kind that really cover your ears, and stay on well. I think a Volume control is a good idea as well.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I don't know anything about buying them - I picked up (did I say picked up? I mean "found") an old pair with a 1/4" jack in the basement / electronics graveyard of the high school I was doing janitorial work at during the summer. It's pretty funny how something little goes wrong with part of a setup (in this case, the tape deck that it was associated with stopped working) and they assume the whole thing is bad.

I got a decent pair of isolating headphones that control the volume really well, and they fit pretty comfortably. Plus, they've got a sick vintage look to 'em.

The only downside? 4' coiled cable. I'm 6'0. I have to be sitting pretty freakin' close to it (or craning over) to accomodate it. This is fine for when i'm practicing during quiet hours at school, but it's a slight inconvenience. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for!

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm not up on US local law, but is there some sort of law against extension cables in NJ?

I'm sure Radio Shack will have some under the counter. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

I am the all-time king doofus. Should've thought about that ages ago, thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately, Jersey IS home to Blue Law regulations... meaning I'll have to tough it out until Monday to get an extension cord. :P

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I have a pair of open-back Yamaha YH-1's (not as isolating, but not as boomy as closed headphones) hi-fi headphones from the day when people still said "hi-fi". I bought them new and have used them for more than 20 years, and they still sound great. They are very sonically flattering for rock 'n' roll, and work great for plugging in for practice. They are very warm and much better than the speaker in my Crate practice amp. This also makes them poor for recording, because they do color the sound, so I'm borrowing my wifes Shure in-ear headphones for mixing (while she's asleep) because they are more linear. I'm planning on investing in some Etymotic in-ears for my self.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://www.goodcans.com

I use Sennheiser noise cancelling.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I like the in-ear phones a lot. That's not the cheap earbuds that come with a lot of mp3 players (like the iPod), but the kind that you stick in like ear plugs. Even the cheap $15 pair I have provide amazing bass. It feels like my brain is vibrating. Since mine are cheap, they don't have an extremely sparkly clear high end, so I use use a pair of earmuff style headphones for better quality. For portability and bass, though, I love the in-ears. When I get a better pair, I'll probably use them exclusively. I like not having to wear some huge speakers on my head, even though my headphones are comfortable.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I use Sennheiser, cordless, with a 300m range and a volume control built in.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

cordless, with a 300m range and a volume control built in

That sounds pretty much like my wife (who, sadly, has no volume control)

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Haha, good thing i'm enjoying the college bachelor life while I can...

Also, dropped down to the local Radio Shack, found myself a nice extremely long extension cord for the headphones. Don't think I'll be having any back problems anytime soon!

(now that's all settled, I can worry more about practicing and less about how I'm going to stay comfortable and still be in the cord range of the headphones!)

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

20$ Sonys from Wal-Mart

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote