Clear all

What's up with that?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing the guitar for close to a year now and I never experience the pain of callouses (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) until now. Early on, I never felt these pains, but the other day in school i picked up a pencil and the tips of my fingers where sooorree. Why is it that I am just now feeling this? Could it be something other than the guitar?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Probably just sore from playing.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Have you changed soap recently, or something similar? If I use anything with a moisturiser in it my calouses "don't work" for a day or two :roll:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Could be the guitar too. I play electric about 98% of the time, but once in awhile I'll pull out the acoustic and play it for a few hours. My fingertips will get a little sore.

I don't really get calluses anymore, but my fingertips are thicker feeling on my fretting hand.

You know, that is a tough word. So I looked it up. Callous means cold hearted, callus is what we get on our fingertips. Here is what Dictionary.com said:
Usage Note: Do not confuse the adjective callous, as in Years of dealing with criminals had left her callous, with the noun callus, as in I have a callus on my thumb. Also, do not confuse the verb callous, which means “to make or become callous,” with the verb callus “to form or develop hardened tissue.”

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In the UK it's Callouse (for your fingers) and callous (cold-hearted).....

I've played so much guitar over the last couple of years or so, I had callouses you could sandpaper a door with - a few months ago, had an accident that meant I could'nt play for a few weeks - I tried to keep the callouses in place by regularly rubbing my fingertips against anything convenient, but they did soften up - I could really feel those strings bite in to my fingers when I got back on the horse, so to speak....

Another thing that might make your fingers sore - have you recently changed to thicker strings? I changed one of my acoustics from 9's to 11's, I was surprised how much extra effort you have to put into holding the strings down....

And of course Wes is correct, most electrics are generally a lower action than acoustics and take less effort to hold the strings down....

Anyway, in my case, the callouses are back - not as thick as they were, but those strings aren't biting in as much.....I'm going to shut up now and play guitar for a while, make sure they stay there and get stronger....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Have you changed soap recently, or something similar? If I use anything with a moisturiser in it my calouses "don't work" for a day or two
I did wash my hair with some suave shampoo lol...maybe that softened up my fingers a bit?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

If there's nothing else that fits, then maybe. In the winter I have to use moisturiser to stop my hands cracking - but I learned the hard way to leave out the tips of my left-hand fingers :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote