When to start singing?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@velsing)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys

Been playing just over a month now. As I've posted earlier. I know most of the open chords and I'm still working on changing chords smoothly and quickly.

I was just wondering if I should start trying to sing along while I play. I know its a difficult thing to do, but I don't want to get caught in a rut like my friend. He knows a few songs (strumming patterns and chord changes) but he has never learned to sing.

Any suggestions regarding whether I should first practice my chord changes before I start singing or not.

Thanks

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

absolutely sing while you play. in my opinion it all reinforces everything. your technique, time, and subtle nuances will all improve.
do it.
everyone should.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Sing in your head the song your playing , if you feel comfortable opening your mouth and singing do it ...

I try to keep my mouth shut as what usually comes out really should not be heard by others :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@hiram)
Trusted Member

As a beginner (hey I only can play three songs) I found out on the first one it helps your rythm and strumming if you sing along, especially your strum timing. I sit down and listen to the song on CD and pay special attention to where the artist (I don't know of a better term) pauses in the lyrics, as you have no background music it will help your strum timing.
Of course I sound pretty bad on one or two, but then it's hard tp replicate Dylan or Glen Frye unless you have a chip clip on your noise or a marble stuck in your throat (grin).
Sooo sing out, having a good time with the tune is what it's all about.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Unlike the other guys in this thread, I'd have to say that I think it is possible to start singing too soon.

You could build up improper breathing techniques due to tension and effort.

You could get parts in the playing or singing wrong without knowing because you've got too much on your plate.

Finally the most important thing I guess, is that I'd recommend you get alot of basic chords working perfectly, so that you don't skip past getting the basics right or putting the time in when you need it.

After say 6 months you should have no problem at all singing and playing some basic chord stuff. But starting after day 2-3 I'm sure would be ok.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Take it song by song. If you know the guitar part well, learn the vocal part. When you know them both well integrate them. If you play a relatively easy song like 'Horse with no name' (see the lesson here on GN) you might start singing few days after picking up the guitar. If you start with Little Wing you might want to wait a few more weeks. ;)

ReplyQuote