Notifications
Clear all

Where do you start?

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rich_halford)
Reputable Member

My top tip for learning guitar is "when it isn't going right, either try something else or just put it away until tomorrow".

Learning is supposed to be fun, and sometimes I find it rather frustrating. If I am trying chords and its going pear-shaped then I'll do the one scale I know or some picking type stuff (Yankee Dodle Dandy, Star Spangled Banner, Blowin in the Wind etc).

I am one of those bad players - bad habits, know lots of bits of songs but not all of them, can't play bar chords well, can't read music when the notes get below the top three lines on the stave, I have a dozen or more books/websites that I visit for tips and lessons etc etc. But the bottom line is I pick up the guitar pretty much every day and enjoy it, so the rest is pretty irrelavent to me. At least once a week I say to my wife "I loves my guitar I do".

Have fun,

Rich.

P.S. My favourite lesson this month is this:
http://www.guitar.gg/wonderwall.html

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Sounds like me too Rich ;)
And the hotdog guy seems pretty good, have you asked him for a free lesson yet?

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Cheers all, these are some great pointers - really appreciate it :)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

When I started playing just over a month ago, I started out learning these chords http://www.fenderplayersclub.com/pdfs/lessons/Guitar_Basics.pdf .

I also had a copy of the Emedia Guitar Method 1. This has been a big help too.

I've just recently become a member of GuitarNoise much in part for the excellent articles and beginner's lessons. I'm really enjoying Horse with No Name and Wish You Were Here.

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

My advice would be, as well as whats been said allready, would be, No matter how you learn your technique, try to learn theory in equal ammounts. Learning good theory makes you a better Musician, not just a guitar player.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2