Clear all

where to go from here?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well, I feel like I'm at a standstill. Been playing for about a year and am mostly self taught, using this site and tabs mostly.
I find that when I pick up the guitar I mostly play through a few parts to a few songs and maybe noodle around with an intro or two that I'm trying to learn. I don't really know what to practice, I'd like to do lead guitar kinda stuff, and I'm into rock, such as G & R, AC/DC, Jimmi etc.
I thought about getting a teacher, but there aren't any teachers in my area that are interested in the same music and thus the same goals. I got to the city for a week a month, would one or two lessons a month be enough?

any thoughts would be appreaciated

Thanks,
Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

One or two lessons a month are better than none at all.
The other teachers, even with a difference in prefered music, may not be a bad idea for the short term anyway.
They would at least reinforce some of the basics, point out where you are weak and correct any bad habits you may have developed.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

In the meantime, keep doing what you're doing...practise will build up muscle strength muscle memory and reach....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hi,

The bit that's interesting is that you say you play around with parts of songs, and I reckon that contributes to the lack of satisfaction.

You should be able to play some songs all the way through; so that is what I would suggest as your next step.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all, Just like to say thanks for the input. Just the other night a few of us got together with our guitars and were playing our standard song or two, then a friend of a friend showed up cause he happened to be in town. turned out he's played for about 20 yrs and has been in a band. I didn't know my guitar could sound that good.

He ended up giving a few of us an impromptu lesson. Amazing what can be clarified in a short time with someone who knows what they're doing. Tonnes of fun, a few things to practice till he's in town again.

cheers, gotta go practice

Brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote