Clear all

newbie having trouble with lessons

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@krmason)
Topic starter  

:?
hi am new here and am interested in learning how to pick a guitar, but can't seem to figure out how the lessons start. Where is lesson number 1 and how do I get to the next one?

Sorry if I seem to be addled, but having hard time figuring out this site.

Ken mason

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Welcome to the musical madhouse.

Start here:

Absolute Beginner

After that, look at Beginner Songs. Maybe start with "Horse with No Name", then move on to "Before You Accuse Me", "Kansas City", "Roll Over Beethoven". There is no particular order, so browse the songs and topics and decide what suits you best.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Those songs you listed, are they listed in order of difficulty ?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't think they're exactly listed in order of difficulty per se. But if I remember Horse with no name is one of the first which is only a two chord song.

I think as you start playing certain things will be easier for you then others and certain things may be more difficult for you than others so it would be difficult to rank them in a very specific order.

Example you might have a three chord song that uses a syncopated strumming pattern or something. From a chord point of view that's almost as easy as it gets, but the strumming may take some time to develop.

The best thing is just to jump in and start playing them in order. If you have trouble move to another song or else stick with one until you get it down.

I know I found certain songs more challenging than others on the list and it had nothing to do with the order they were in.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@krmason)
Topic starter  

Welcome to the musical madhouse.

Start here:

Absolute Beginner

After that, look at Beginner Songs. Maybe start with "Horse with No Name", then move on to "Before You Accuse Me", "Kansas City", "Roll Over Beethoven". There is no particular order, so browse the songs and topics and decide what suits you best.

thank you for your help.

Ken Mason :D

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Those songs you listed, are they listed in order of difficulty ?

Cnev's got it right. I listed the other three because they introduce you to the 12 bar form and that can get you playing a lot of blues and rock n roll pretty quickly and painlessly. And those three lessons do run in that order, if I recall correctly.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

One thing about music is that some songs come easier than others. It may be the rhythm, the speed, the chords or whatever else. Don't feel constricted to learning in a particular order - if it's too hard, try something else. It's meant to be fun, not school. :)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote