Notifications
Clear all

where to start...

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@enigma)
Topic starter  

right i have had a guitar for some time now, and just been getting used to it now i get more time to use it and as its holidays.

but i dont know where to start to get playing a small song eventually.
is there any guides i can use to learn chords then move on until the ability to play a song.
im not saying i wnat to start off playing a song, but work slowely untili can manage changing chords, getting fingering right etc.

i wont be getting a teacher, as im more reliant on learning by myself, but with a step in the right direction.

i use a electirc guitar and sometimes with amplifier.

i can only play a bit of twinkle twinkle little star. :roll:

thanks for any help. im not illiterate, but like diagrams showing finger positions etc. notes would also help.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Have you tried the beginners section/lessons on this sites main pages?

https://www.guitarnoise.com/beginner.php

That is a great place to start

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@enigma)
Topic starter  

ah, nice, things like i needed, i dident notice them on the site but thanks anyway.
as theres not many guides, i may be able to make steady progress alone without too much to learn in one go.

90's rock seems to play a big part in them, which is good, i quite like some music from the 90s and around that time. The Who, Nirvana, and otehr various artists.
i myself have a few good songs which i have yet to finish, i now await the day to play them.

ReplyQuote
(@darling-damsel)

I am just getting fustrated. Its nice learning a scale, but some kind of song that I know and like would do wonders.

I bought the Indigo Girls 'Strange Fire' book this week and I can't figure out what it is supposed to be saying. I listen to the music and don't recongize what happening compared to what is on the page.

Sigh ...

ReplyQuote
(@darling-damsel)

Boy I sound wimpy!

:roll:

The last hours been disappointing and I am sure it will improve if I keep listening.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am just getting fustrated. Its nice learning a scale, but some kind of song that I know and like would do wonders.

I bought the Indigo Girls 'Strange Fire' book this week and I can't figure out what it is supposed to be saying. I listen to the music and don't recongize what happening compared to what is on the page.

Sigh ...
Try the beginners songs in the beginners section linked above. There are some really good starter songs there with tabs, notation and sound clips. I agree, it is nice to balance practice with learning songs.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

By the way, welcome to GN to both of you :!:

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@darling-damsel)

Thanks Nils!

I am going to try my hand with Sittin on the Dock of the Bay

:)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome Enigma and Darling,
Play around with the previously mentioned sections of this site.
Learn some basic chords and practice changing between them and learn a few of Davids beginners songs. When you get a grasp of that, take a look through the "Easy Song Database" section of this forum. You will be surprised how quickly you can play quite a few of the popular songs in there.
Best of Luck.

ReplyQuote