Clear all

Which is best to learn on?

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@blackrat)
Topic starter  

Hi,
I have just started to try and learn the guitar within the last few days. I want to learn to play electric, so thats what I went out and bought (Squier Heavy Metal).

The more I read the forum though, the more I realise everyone (beginners that is) seem to be on accoustict guitars. Have I made the wrong choice as a beginner? :?
Blackrat

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

you did the right thing. If you want to play electric, learn on electric.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I agree with Nick, you made the right choice. I know, for me personally, I only bought acoustic because I thought it would be cheaper. Now I am glad I got the acoustic because I have grown to like it, but as with any hobby, I am sure I will add to my toys and get an electric eventually.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

BlackRat,

I also agree you made the right choice. You should practice with what you want to play. Personally, I want to play both acoustic and electric so I have both. I switch back and forth between the two and I think it has helped my learning quite a bit.

But on a side note...with an electric and some effect processors you can make that electric sound fairly close (but definitely NOT exactly!) to sounding like an acoustic.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I wanted to play electric, and started on an accoustic. For a week. Number one priority for beginners (and the rest!) is maintaining a decent motivation. If you want to learn to play loud rock music practicing Yankee Doodle on a classical guitar won't help that much. Have fun!

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member

I think alot of people buy an acoustic to learn on because its usually cheaper than a electric set up. Thats what i did, I wasn't sure if i'd get to grips with guitar or learn very well but now i'm learning more and more and still enjoying it i've bought myself an electric aswell!
If i found playing far too difficult and got bored i wouldn't have wasted as much money as if i started on an electric!

you've taken the main step and actually bought the guitar so have fun!!!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Not much else to say, just adding in my agreement of the general consensus. Play what you want to play, motivation is key.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@blackrat)
Topic starter  

Well that's a relief, not that I could do anything about it now......ok then,
while I have your attention can I ask you to suggest some very easy electric guitar (not folky type strummy along beards round the campfire Coom By Ya type tunes....no offence to anyone out there) :wink: to suppliment my theory and learning chords stuff
Blackrat

PS preference for 70's prog rock

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

(not folky type strummy along beards round the campfire Coom By Ya type tunes....no offence to anyone out there) :wink: to suppliment my theory and learning chords stuff
Blackrat

You MAY want to watch the beard references around here... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll find out what I mean soon enough :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LOL....plenty of grey beards round here, but not a lot of Kum-by-ah...however it's spelt.....

If you want some easy songs for electric guitar, why not check out the Easy Song Database? Lots of Golden oldies on there....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

not folky type strummy along beards round the campfire Coom By Ya type tunes

Well, I had a suggestion but my memory is failing me, I would look it up but I cant focus my eyes anymore, I'd just hum it too you but I cant get that golden oldie "Koom BY ya" out of my head.

Welcome to GN!! Seriously though either the Easy Song Database or the forum called "Easy Songs" I think is a great place to pick one out. Not to mention just going through all the great articles.

Take care
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blackrat)
Topic starter  

:shock: Oh Dear! In trouble again. Thanks for the suggestions for the easy guitar tracks.
Blackrat (Brain of an 18yr old, body of a 45 year old) :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

:D lol No trouble from here. Hey, what exactly is progessive rock..? Any examples you could give me?

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@blackrat)
Topic starter  

Well I guess I would put bands like Genesis, ELP, Yes and Rush in that mix..........here you're not taking the micky are you? :D
:D lol No trouble from here. Hey, what exactly is progessive rock..? Any examples you could give me?

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you did the right thing. If you want to play electric, learn on electric.

I think I'll be the devil's advocate on this subject. What's going to probably happen is Blackrat is going to buy a distortion box, crank his amp up and learn some power chords. Learn to play "Sad but True." He'll probably get the idea that regular chords don't sound that great. He won't know when to change to another chord unless memorizing tab. He'll never figure out how to write a song. He'll decide his tone sucks because of his equipment. He probably won't practice as long because who wants to hear himself play loudly when you can't play. He'll buy a new amp. He'll buy a new electric. He'll be disappointed. Sell his new guitar. Sell his amp. Wait a few years. Buy a brand new Martin acoustic. He'll then start from the beginning. Practice for a couple of years. Buy a new electric. Buy a new amp. And a rock god is born. :D

At least buy a GOOD acoustic, too. Although, I doubt you'll play it because of your friends. So I guess Nick is right after all. But it's a long process. LOL

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2