Which is best to le...

Notifications
Clear all

Which is best to learn on?

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

you did the right thing. If you want to play electric, learn on electric.

I think I'll be the devil's advocate on this subject. What's going to probably happen is Blackrat is going to buy a distortion box, crank his amp up and learn some power chords. Learn to play "Sad but True." He'll probably get the idea that regular chords don't sound that great. He won't know when to change to another chord unless memorizing tab. He'll never figure out how to write a song. He'll decide his tone sucks because of his equipment. He probably won't practice as long because who wants to hear himself play loudly when you can't play. He'll buy a new amp. He'll buy a new electric. He'll be disappointed. Sell his new guitar. Sell his amp. Wait a few years. Buy a brand new Martin acoustic. He'll then start from the beginning. Practice for a couple of years. Buy a new electric. Buy a new amp. And a rock god is born. :D

At least I'll have something to buy on eBay!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

At least I'll have something to buy on eBay!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Since I'm in the mood of telling you what Blackrat would do... He would probably want too much for it. haha

ReplyQuote
(@blackrat)
Topic starter  

Neztok,
I think you could have something here, according to my calculations I am at the last stage (the acoustic was a catalog shop special, if I could work out the lat and long I might have said Argos but I couldn't so I wont. :? ) How long between the buying and the rock god :twisted:
Blackrat
you did the right thing. If you want to play electric, learn on electric.

I think I'll be the devil's advocate on this subject. What's going to probably happen is Blackrat is going to buy a distortion box, crank his amp up and learn some power chords. Learn to play "Sad but True." He'll probably get the idea that regular chords don't sound that great. He won't know when to change to another chord unless memorizing tab. He'll never figure out how to write a song. He'll decide his tone sucks because of his equipment. He probably won't practice as long because who wants to hear himself play loudly when you can't play. He'll buy a new amp. He'll buy a new electric. He'll be disappointed. Sell his new guitar. Sell his amp. Wait a few years. Buy a brand new Martin acoustic. He'll then start from the beginning. Practice for a couple of years. Buy a new electric. Buy a new amp. And a rock god is born. :D

At least buy a GOOD acoustic, too. Although, I doubt you'll play it because of your friends. So I guess Nick is right after all. But it's a long process. LOL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes by all means you did right with the electric if thats what you want to play.
I do suggest you get a good (by that i mean playable not expensive) acoustic for the following reasons.
Something to practice with when you are away from home.
You can get your chords worked out with an acoustic where nothing is hidden (electrics can hide your mistakes but if you don't know what your mistakes are you wont progress)
There are just plain sounds you cannot make on an electric (for days when you just want something mellow.)
When you become famous you will need it for your "Unplugged Tour"
I suggested an acoustic NOT to replace your electric but to compliment it.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

If Jimmy can play star spangled banner plugged in and tweaked out, I will bet even kum-ba-ya would sound good too with some good bends thrown in there! 8)

Yes you should play what you want. I didn't know what I wanted, that is why I have 4 guitars, 2 electric and 2 acoustic. I thought I wanted to play acoustic more but that has evolved. Electric is easier, there are still things I can do cleanly on electric and still get frustrated with my acoustics.

I am really into the electric now though.

When you are starting out, sometimes you are just not sure where you will go with it. Better to go with whatever motivates you. :)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

If the "bug" hits you then it wont really matter in the end because I think we all tend to buy a few more guitars than the hands we have on our bodies.. But I have to ask Netzok... Any chance I'll win the lottery tomorrow?

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

But I have to ask Netzok... Any chance I'll win the lottery tomorrow?

No - You have to play to win. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I will bet even kum-ba-ya would sound good too with some good bends thrown in there!

I guess if that's what you play on your acoustic or think that's all it's good for. You know you might want to practice those bends on the acoustic. You can get some crazy asss bends that way. Albeit a little sharp. :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2