Notifications
Clear all

Woah, I'm nervous

29 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As long as you both remember it's opportunity to have fun instead of show what you can do nothing can really go wrong. The first time I jammed I still had difficulty with changing basic open chords, and none of the song went even remotely well, really. I was playing with another guitarist (a friend, who was just as bas as I was) and a bassist (who was actually quite good). The bass-lines went fine constantly but we just kept on failing putting the proper chords in time over the bass-lines. And you know what? We all had fun. Do your best and just see it as being with friends, with the minor difference that you're trying to make some music.

Just a few weeks ago we played together again. This time we managed to work through quite some songs, with me doing the vocals besides the guitar. Just have fun, and if it ain't perfect this time it will atleast be better next time. Let us know how it went!

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Don't worry, be happy! :D

You're going to have a blast! Good luck!

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@tryinagain)

The first time I played with other guys, it was pretty nerve wracking, but after we played for awhile, we all started moving in the same direction together. It is a great way to improve your own playing in a short amount of time. Have fun with it and don't worry too much about it because everyone who has ever played a guitar or base has thought they sucked at one point or another. Good luck :D

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks tryinagain. Welcome to GN and your first post. I appreciate the support and comments. I am feeling pretty darn good at this point. Spend alot of time playing this weekend and feeling pretty good about tomorrow.

The guy also invited another guitar player over who has played for a really long time and is supposed to be pretty good so I am even more excited about that. I learn pretty good by watching other guitarist so I think if he shows then there will be alot to learn from him.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes. Its my birthday so no matter how it goes it gonna be a great day.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Your birthday! :D

Why didn't you say so before. That guarantees that it will be a success!

You'll have a few beers before you go, just to relax. Then they'll insist that you have a few more. In quick succession you'll get giggly, step on the cat (which will knock over a glass of red wine onto the pale carpet), you'll proposition his daughter, let out a loud fart as his wife walks in, break a string on the good guitarist's axe, and then forget every note you ever learnt. But the only bit you'll remember is throwing up on the sofa....

OK, that's all the nightmares out of the way. :shock: None of that will happen - you'll just have a good time. Lucky devil. :D

And a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

aaargh! sorry - double post...... :oops:

(knocks glass of red win onto carpet....) :?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll be fine. Soon enough you'll playing the local scene, everything from open Mic's to festival's not even thinking about it. Then it comes when you or the the band your in is asked to be the warm-up for another band at a large venue. You walk out on stage your minds thinking about songs and equipment, you take a quick glance beyond the stage hoping you'll spot a friend or even someone you might know and all you can see people from edge of the stage to the horizon. Thats when the gravity of the situation sets in, the colored lights, the audience's excitement, and Frisbee's being lofted about tends to bring on a few butterflies you didn't know you had.

After the first or second song you'll feel settled in makes everything worth the journey.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

you'll proposition his daughter

Humm that could alright. :oops:
you take a quick glance beyond the stage hoping you'll spot a friend or even someone you might know and all you can see people from edge of the stage to the horizon.

Umm.. How long is it before that?!!?? heh Dont put that kind of excitement in my head. I'll be like a kid saying "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? " hehe Thanks for the dream though.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

I can't echo the "relax and roll with it" sentiments enough. I'm at about a year and a half of 'serious' playing now, and I just recently came to grips with the fact not only am I still a rank amateur, but the better players don't expect you to be Stevie Ray or Yngwie when you play!

My neighbor is a very, very talented player, and we jam quite a bit these days. I was intimidated by him for a long time, but after I had this little epiphany of mine, even he noticed that I was a lot looser and less nervous about playing together. I still sit and listen to/watch him more than I actually play, but more often than not now, I find myself grooving right into a chord progression to back his lead - and being comfortable with it.

And not being afraid to make mistakes.

In case you didn't catch that...

Not being afraid to make mistakes!

It does take some intestinal fortitude to overcome the nervousness, no argument at all. But once you get over that hurdle, it'll open up a whole new world of playing for you. I've learned more in the past three or four months than I probably had in all my previous playing time, and I chalk it all up to getting over myself. :lol:

Keep at it, and it'll only get better. Mark my words. :)

ReplyQuote
(@juletto)
Eminent Member

Hi

I am a school teacher and have no adults to play guitar with. So i take my guitar to school and play for my class while they sing along. They love it and i am dead nervous but i think this improves my playing because i need to be flexible and chop and change with the kids.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Been a long time since I've dated, but from what I remember it was pretty fun! :D

Yep, first thing is make sure you are both in tune to each other.

Take a notebook along with all the songs you know. Have the lyrics with chord changes written above. Make an extra copy for the bass player. Now you will be able to play some songs on the spot.

Don't worry about who's best. Who cares? Just play to the best of your ability.

And if you come prepared with a notebook of all your songs, you will be the best player anyway. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just back from the play date and too fill everyone in.. It went GREAT. I really wasnt that nervous. I really did make some mistakes. He really didnt care. He really is even better than I thought he was but I wasnt too bad.

He invited me to come play with him and the other guitarist (that is two of them) that he's been playing with for a while. Heard a CD of the three of them and they sound incredible. The two guitarist play regularly at different gigs.

It was a terrific time, except that we were watching the OU game and we lost. :oops: :( :x :roll:

Thanks for all the advice

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

That's great you had a good time.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2