Clear all

You have to be joking?

21 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

So I just received the Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus that I ordered from MusiciansFriend today. It came shipped in its case, the only problem is that the case has a spinning 3-digit combination locked...and it's locked! :?

No information came within the package, just junk (catalogs and advertisements).

So I called MusiciansFriend and talked to their customer service and he said there should have been a product information guide (or something like to that effect) in the package and it would tell me how to open or set the combination; and I told him it didn't come with one. Then he said that he had never owned a case that had a lock so all he could do for me was put in a request for a technician to call me back sometime tomorrow! :x

I've already been waiting a week for this thing (plus the longest day of work I have ever had, knowing that it was waiting for me at home :shock: ) And I bet I know what the tech guy is going to say tomorrow (if he does call :roll: ), "I can't help you with that, you're going to have to call Gibson." And then Gibson will probably run me in circles all day.

So my question is does anyone REALLY know how to set/open one of these Gibson 3-digit spinning combination case locks?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

pick it. if it's one of those with three little circles on end, then if you push it slightly to the side with your hand or a screwdriver and spin the wheel slowly, you'll see where the lock is open. there'll be a little square of metal cut out. if you cant push it to the side, then you might be able to feel where it loosens up.
otherwise, you can always try all 1000 combinations.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh and in case this is important, to the left of the three spinning digits on the lock there is a square button. I'm guessing that you use this button to accept the code you entered and release the lock. But I also bet it is used in the setting of the combination.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yeah, when you get it right, you'll be able to push it to the side, and the latch will open. in general, you can't change the preset combination without taking the whole mechanism apart or repainting the numbers.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

WOOOW....do I feel stupid! :oops: :lol: 8)

So this whole time I thought that square was supposed to be pushed in when I entered the correct combo or pop up when I entered the right combo. I just reread you post and figured out that you were supposed to push the square to the left. Anyways I pushed it to the left and POP there she is, a beauty.

When you said 'push it to the left' I thought you meant the spinners so that you could see inside or something.

(I even spent 15 minutes or so going through every combination 000-999. :oops: )

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yeah. i'm getting old, too.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

I would have gone for the large slotted screwdriver in my toolbox :shock: Glad it didn't get to that stage for you!

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Hey.......never mind feeling foolish.......hows it play :?: :?: :?: :lol:

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I would have begun gnawing on the case to get a new guitar out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Like creamy butter.....extremely powerful butter, but still creamy. 8)

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics :D

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I was going to suggest a sawzall if nothing else.

Glad you got it opened the old fashioned way. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I've got one of those. As you've found, you open the latch by pushing the square latch button to the left.

To reset the combo, you first have to have it set on the present combo and have the latch open. Push the square button to the right, and while holding it there turn the wheels to the new combo that you want, then release. Test by moving the square to the left to be sure that you got it right before closing the latch again.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Jim

Hey nexion....what color did you get? I have a Gibby LP Studio + in "iced tea"...and the finish is killer, not to mention the tone, sustain, playability...etc, etc.......it's a great guitar.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Jim
You're going to have to give me awhile for pictures.

I still can't look at it without playing it for hours.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2