Clear all

A Town Called Malice - with no barre chords! Jam / Weller

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Greetings again everyone. For some time now I have been trying to find a way to play this great Jam song, but always struggled because the original is almost exclusively played with Barre chords. Thanks to the forums on this site, and an excellent reply by the site's very own David Hodge, I am pleased to say that by utilising a capo on the 4th fret, we can now play this with nice easy chord shapes and get it to sound half decent.

REMEMBER CAPO ON 4!!!
So what are the chord shapes?
G 320003 (use 320033 at end)
C6 x32210 (or substitute Am x02210)
D xx0232
C x32010
Bm xx0432
F#m 202222
Em 022000

A few things to note first. Strumming this well is the difference between a reasonable rendition and it sounding much like any other song. There is also an interesting use of the guitar body for percussion – more of this later.

The song start out with a G / C6 progression (or use G / Am if you can't do the C6), the timing of this is interesting – start on the G but switch to a quick C6 for the last UUD bit - its almost like the C6 is a transition chord back to G. If I was tabbing this out it would look something like this –
G
E-3--3--3--3--3--3--0-0-0|
B-0--0--0--0--0--0--1-1-1|
G-0--0--0--0--0--0--2-2-2|
D-0--0--0--0--0--0--2-2-2|
A-2--2--2--2--2--2—(3)---|
E-3--3--3--3--3--3--x-x--|
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & a

So play 6 straight downstrums on the G, then quickly shift to the C6 (note – you can easily just use Am here, it sounds ok) and do a quick UUD. You'll get away with Am because you are using mainly upstrums for the C6 part – and you'll see that the only difference between Am and C6 is on the 5th string – x02210 against x32210. Its worth practising this timing for a while, as its used both in the intro and the chorus, you need to be able to repeat it as necessary without thinking.

For the verses, you can do a lot worse than use straight downstrums with the odd DUD thrown in when you see fit – the downstrums will keep the song jogging along nicely. I actually use – D D D D DUD DU for each chord of the verse, this seems to fit it ok. There's a lot of words to fit in some parts, so you don't want to get too complicated!

Ok so play the G / C6 (or G / Am) four times through for an intro, then go straight into the verse, hitting the D on the word “stop”. Keep your rhythm steady. Note the “cheat” Bm – xx0432 – this actually sounds pretty good although you can play around with other voicings. Beginners shouldn't find this Bm too challenging at all, just practice it!

As for timing, just stay on all chords for a steady count of four, where marked – so for instance you stay on C for 2 lots of four in the verse, and on D. This is important

NOW THE CLEVER BIT! Stop strumming on the word “change” (the last word in the first verse, and subsequently, the last word in each verse) and tap the body of your guitar three times as you sing “this town called” then go straight into your intro strumming of G / C6 (or G / Am). You should end up singing “malice” on the first beat of the G.

For a good ending, play your G / C6 bit again, 4 times, then end on a nice full downstrum of G played 320033. Sorted!

Hope all that makes, sense, any questions please ask, and here's the whole song. Don't forget CAPO ON FRET 4. I have also tried it on fret 2 and it sounds ok there too, and is a bit easier to sing (for me anyway, and I need all the help I can get!)

Matt

Intro:
G C6 x 4

Verse 1:
D
You'd better stop dreaming of the quiet life
C
cos it's the one we'll never know
D
And quit running for that runaway bus
C
'cos those rosey days are few
C
And stop apologising for the
Bm
things you've never done
D
'cos time is short and life is cruel,
D
but it's up to us to change

x x x (knock on body of guitar)
this town called

G C6
malice Yeah-eah-eah
G C6
G C6
G (C6)

Verse 2:
Bm
Rows and rows of disused milk floats
C
stand dying in the dairy yard
Bm
And a hundred lonely housewives
C
clutch empty milk bottles to their hearts
C
Hanging out their old love letters
Bm
on the line to dry
D
It's enough to make you stop believing when
D tap tap tap
tears come fast and furious in a town called

G C6
malice, Yeah-eah-eah
G C6
This town called
G C6
malice, ooh-ooh-yeah
G C6

Verse 3:
D C
Ba ba ba ba bada ba, ba ba bada baa oh
D C
Ba ba ba ba bada ba, ba ba bada baa oh
C Bm
Struggle after struggle, year after year
D
The atmosphere's a fine blend of ice, I'm
D tap tap tap
almost stone cold dead in a town called

G C6
malice, Yeah-eah-eah
G C6
G C6
G C6

Bridge:
F#m Em
A whole street's belief in Sunday's roast beef
F#m Em
Gets dashed against the Co-op
C
To either cut down on beer or the kids new gear
D
It's a big decision in a town called malice.

G C6
G C6
G C6
G C6

Verse 4:
D C
The ghost of a steam train, echoes down my track
D
It's at the moment bound for nowhere,
C
just going round and round
C
Playground kids and creaking swings,
Bm
lost laughter in the breeze
D
I could go on for hours and I probably will,
D
I'd sooner put some joy back in

x x x
this town called
G C6
malice, Yeah-eah-eah
G C6
This town called
G C6
malice,yeah Ooh-ooh-yeah
G C6 x6

G

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Thanks, the Jam is a favorite of mine.

Question: What's the bar chord for the "C6" (which is an E6 with the capo, I guess)?

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

here are the original chords and the transposed ones-
B G 320003
E6 C6 x32210
F# D xx0232
E C x32010
D#m7 Bm xx0432
A#m F#m 202222
G#m Em 022000

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

6th chords are just about the easiest barre chords to play....I do it by putting a full barre on (so in standard tuning without a capo, this would be the third fret) then a half barre two frets up across the top four strings...

E A D G B E
3 3 5 5 5 5

With a capo at the fouth fret, you´d be putting the full barre on at the 7th and the half-barre at the 9th.

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Hey, I just wrote a song with 6th bar chords in it and I didn't even know.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Matt, that's very good work. I may go buy a capo today just to try this!

Thanks for your efforts.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the_fifth_beatle)
Trusted Member

matt- have you heard the live version that weller does on Days of Speed (i think)...and more to the point- do you have a tab for it ?:wink:

its a lot slower and sounds as though he plays a combination of strumming and picking.

stop...i have found a genius...stop...

ReplyQuote
(@jaxtraw)

Great stuff guys! Another cool 80s tune to add to my repertoire.
Matt

ReplyQuote