Another way of playing the 5, 6, 7 shuffle that I like is this:

A5 A6 A7 A6

e--------------------------
b--------------------------
g--------------------------
d---------4i----5r----4i---
a---7p----X-----X-----X----
e---5m----5m----5m----5m---

You spoke about your pinky being short. My index is very short, it does not even come up to the beginning of my fingernail on my middle finger. My middle is very long though and I use it a lot, especially on the bass strings. So this method above is very easy for me. And it is very easy for me to mute strings with my middle finger.

So, everybody is different. What is easy for you may be difficult for me and vice versa.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Wes
I tried this today but got a bit confused, nothing new there!
Am I supposed to play the bass line?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Jim

If you are familiar with this recording, there are two prominent guitars. This is the opening guitar (the rhythm guitar) played throughout the song. It is played on the bass strings, but it is guitar. The bass line is very different.

There is another guitar part played on the high E and B strings, very much in the style of Chuck Berry. In fact, the last line of this song where Marc sings "And meanwhile, I was still thinking" is the last line of Chuck Berry's hit Maybelline.

But the other guitar parts are like this:

E E6

e---0----0----0-0---0--
b---0----0----0-0-2-0--
g----------------------
d----------------------
a----------------------
e----------------------

E A7 E E6 A7

e---0----0----3----3----0--0----------3----3--
a---0----0----2----2----0--0--2--0----2----2--
g---------------------------------------------
d---------------------------------------------
a---------------------------------------------
e---------------------------------------------

These simple double stops are played throughout the song, I'm sure you are familiar with them.

There is a way to play both the shuffle on the bass and these double stops on the high strings at the same time, but then this wouldn't be an Easy Song.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Thanks, as I have said I seem to be tune deaf, the riff I heard seem to be a lot more bassy than my attempts

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That was no bass, that was Marc's famous red Les Paul, and most likely through a Marshall amp.
In fact the cover of Electric Warrior shows Marc playing this LP through a full Marshall stack. LP's have a very deep full tone, one reason they are loved by Metal players.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2