Clear all

Bob Dylan, Simple Twist of Fate

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

As promised, I have worked through this great song from Dylan's 1975 album "Blood on the Tracks". Its another song played in open D tuning, with a capo slapped on the 2nd fret meaning that you are playing in open E tuning relative to capo. I have tried to explain this as fully as possible so beginners and experienced players alike get a chance to have a go - its surprising how much playing in a different tuning can inspire you!

BEGINNERS - Do NOT be put off by the seemingly complicated tuning (it isn't) or the weird sounding chords (they are easy, I can play them!).

As with Shelter from the Storm (see my other post on this song) tune your guitar to the following - D A D F#A D (from thickest string to thinnest). So Low E down to D, leave your A string alone, leave D string alone, tune G string to F#, tune B string to A, and high E to D. Simple!!

To check you're ok, strum all the strings open - your tuner should register a D without the capo on. Now put capo on 2nd fret.

The song is based on a repeating chord sequence. Rather than plunge in first with lyrics and tab, I am just going to take you through the progression that you will need to play the whole song. Firstly though the chord shapes -

E 054000
Emaj7 044000
E7 034000
A 020120
Am xx5450
B(ii) x42000
A' 020100 (Aadd9)
B11 x02120
B11' x02100 (B7add11)

No barres, plenty of 2 finger only chords, simple (told you!!!)
It is vital that you stay on each chord for the correct number of beats, and also that you try and use the changes in the bass strings to best effect. For instance, although E is 054000, I try and hit the 5th string fretted at the 5th fret rather than the open E string, for my bass. Therefore when you play the first progression 054000 - 044000 - 034000 you can hear the A string changes 5 - 4 - 3. I hope this makes sense, if anyone is confused post your quesiton and i will try and answer it.

Ok heres the progression and the number of beats you'll stay on - I have also given some tips, based on NORMAL STRING NAMES as if tuned to standard EADGBE

E 054000 4 beats
Emaj 7 044000 4 beats tip - use middle finger on "A" string
E7 034000 4 beats tip - slide middle finger down a fret!
A 020120 2 beats tip - slide middle finger down one fret!
A' 020100 2 beats tip - just remove finger from "B"string
Am xx5450 4 beats tip - D7 shape at 5th fret but up one string
E 054000 1 beat (return to first position)
B(ii) x42000 1 beat tip slide to this position
A 020120 1 beat
A' 020100 1 beat tip - finger lift as done before
E 054000 2 beats
B11 x02120 1 beat tip d7 shape again, up one string
B11' x02100 1 beat finger lift from d7 shape
E 054000 4 beats.

This cycle then repeats. If there is a trick, its to see how you can most economically finger these chords so that the next chord is easy to get to. I try and use my middle finger on the "A" string as much as possible as its nice and easy to get to the A chords for me from this position.

Strum pattern. I try and get the feel of a bass / strum. I play D(b) d/u/d for each COUNT OF ONE, with D(b) being a downstroke that catches the bass note, or bass note and a couple of strings below it. Ther song is quite slow so you should be ok. So taking the initial measure of E as an example I will play -

E
Dud dud dud dud
E --000-000-000-000-|
B --000-000-000-000-|
G --000-000-000-000-|
D 4----4---4---4----|
A 5----5---5---5----|
E ------------------|
1 2 3 4

Practice this rhythm until you have it down cold as you can use it throughout the song. Hardest bit is the part where you are only staying on the chord for 1 beat, but even this is easy once practiced . Tab would be like this -
Chord progression E – Bii – A – A'

Dud dud dud dud
E --000-000-000-000-|
B --000-000-222-000-|
G --000-000-111-111-|
D 4----2---0---0----|
A 5----4---2---2----|
E ------------------|
1 2 3 4

Ok that should pretty much give you the idea of the whole song! Without further ado, here goes. Remember the timing, it is very important -
E
They sat together in the park
Emaj7
As the evening sky grew dark,
E7
She looked at him and he felt a spark
A A'
tingle to his bones.
Am
'Twas then he felt alone
E B(ii) A A'
and wished that he'd gone straight
E B11 B11' E
And watched out for a simple twist of fate.

E
They walked along by the old canal
Emaj7
A little confused, I remember well
E7
And stopped into a strange hotel
A A'
with a neon burnin' bright.
Am
He felt the heat of the night
E B(ii) A A'
hit him like a freight train
E B11 B11' E
Moving with a simple twist of fate.

E
A saxophone someplace far off played
Emaj7
As she was walkin' by the arcade.
E7
As the light bust through a beat-up shade
A A'
where he was wakin' up,
Am
She dropped a coin into the cup
E B(ii) A A'
of a blind man at the gate
E B11 B11' E
And forgot about a simple twist of fate.

E
He woke up, the room was bare
Emaj7
He didn't see her anywhere.
E7
He told himself he didn't care,
A A'
pushed the window open wide,

Am
Felt an emptiness inside
E B(ii) A A'
to which he just could not relate
E B11 B11' E
Brought on by a simple twist of fate.

E
He hears the ticking of the clocks
Emaj7
And walks along with a parrot that talks,
E7
Hunts her down by the waterfront docks
A A'
where the sailers all come in.
Am
Maybe she'll pick him out again,
E B(ii) A A'
how long must he wait
E B11 B11' E
Once more for a simple twist of fate.

E
People tell me it's a sin
Emaj7
To know and feel too much within.
E7
I still believe she was my twin,
A A'
but I lost the ring.
Am
She was born in spring,
E B(ii) A A'
but I was born too late
E B11 B11' E
Blame it on a simple twist of fate.

I really hope whoever has a try at this enjoys it as much as I have. Remeber that almost all of the album version of Blood on the Tracks is recorded in this tuning, apparently inspired by Joni Mitchells use of alternates. Personally I think the voicings are beautiful. Even Dylan's singing on this album is very melodic, amazing :wink:

All the best

Matt (Guitar)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

well it's gone 12.30 am over here, so this'll have to wait till morning....hope it's as much fun to play as "Shelter!!!"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi again Vic

Yes, it certainly is.

Hope you enjoy it.

By the way the other post about Dylanchords.com (if that's right) is certainly true, some good tabs on there.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote