Clear all

fingerpicking song, the Calling, wherever you will go

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi again. I promised myself that sooner or later i would post this for 3 very good reasons -

1. My girlfreind just LOVES this song acoustic, and so will yours (or boyfreind :wink: )
2. Its excellent finger practice, and thumb (see later on...)
3. Its actually a very good song!

Right a few notes. This is aimed at BEGINNERS so those of you that are already yawning, please just scroll down to the tabs. Its not easy describing some of this stuff sometimes!
1. The main finger picking pattern. This repeats for the C, G (if it is a G!) and Am sections and only changes on the F. So to start with, practice the intro until you have it completely sorted and you can play it without thinking. TRUST ME its not that tricky at all. Let's look at the first bar on its own and get that sorted. Form a regular C chord. OK? Now use your thumb to pluck the A string fretted at the third fret, and your ring middle and first finger to play the other strings. Keep it nice and even, no need to play it fast, but you want an even tempo. Here's the tab -
C
E---------------------|
B------------1--------|
G------0---0---0------|
D----2---2-------2----|
A--3------------------|
E---------------------|

Ok hopefully that wasn't too hard? Now, all you do is shift your riing finger that is fretting the A string 3rd fret, to the second fret. Leave your other fingers in place. Now do exectly the same pick as before - all you are changing is the bass......
E---------------------|
B------------1--------|
G------0---0---0------|
D----2---2-------2----|
A--2------------------|
E----------------------

Ok so far? So you have 2 of the first 4 bars sorted! Next up is the Am, surprise surprise all you do is take your ring finger off the A string, and leave it off! You therefore have the open A string as your bass. Again, here's the tab
Am
E---------------------|
B------------1--------|
G------0---0---0------|
D----2---2-------2----|
A--0------------------|
E---------------------|

OK so we have 3 bars. Now the only tricky bit, but with a bit of thought its not too bad, honest!

Keep your first finger, and middle finger in place for this bar. Use your thumb, wrapped over the neck of the guitar, to sound the 1st fret low E string, at the end of this bar stretch your free ring finger up to fret the low E string at the third fret. Note the change of picking pattern. You will need to practice this if my experience was anything to go by, but don't give up, it is playable with a bit of practice!
F
E--------------------|
B-----1-----1---1----|
G-------0------------|
D---2----------------|
A--------------------|
E-1-------1---3------|

OK that's pretty much it for the picking. And the picking makes up 90% of the song, the only bit that varies is the bridge "run away with my heart.." which is strummed.

You will note that the picking is all eighth notes, the count is "one and two and three and four and.." etc. Nice and steady.

All you do now is join together your four bars that you have learned, for arguments sake i will refer to them as C G Am and F but that's probably not right, i am sure someone will correct me!!!
C G Am F
So lately You're wondering Who will be there to take my place
C G Am F
When I'm gone you'll need love to light the shadows on your face
C G Am F
If a grate wave shall fall Fall upon us all
C G Am F
Then between sand and stone could you make it on your own?

Chorus

C G Am F
If I could then I would I'll go wherever you will go
C G Am F
Way up high or down low I'll go wherever you will go

Verse Two:

Maybe I'll find out a way to make it back someday
To want you to guide you through the darkest of your days
If a great wave shall fall and fall upon us all
Then I hope there's someone out there who can bring me back to you

Chorus:

Bridge: STRUMMED D D D/U D/U

Am F G
Run away with my heart
Em Am
Run away with my hope
F G Em - F
Run away with my love

Verse Three:

I know now just quite how
My life and love might still go on
In your heart in your mind
I'll stay with you for all of time

Chorus:

If I could turn back time I'll go wherever you will go
If I could make you mine I'll go wherever you will gO

and that's pretty much it guys and girls. I hope you enjoy it, and its not as hard as i have managed to make it look ha ha.

Good luck

Matt :D

(@lunarist)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the tab on this great song Matt. I have tried it with a capo on the second fret using your suggested fingerings relative to the capo. You might want to try this as well and see what you think.

Also, I'm having a little problem with the strum pattern. How are you fingering the F Chord? Than you are doing DDD DU DU on each chord?

Thanks again for a good song, great for beginners like me!

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Lunarist

I am not doing DDD dudu, look again, its just

D D d/u d/u (1, 2 3+ 4+)

As for the F, well i have been cheating a bit (hee hee) and playing XX3211 and just strumming the bottom four strings. If you can play a full F then do it, but i find this an acceptable alternative.

All the best

Matt

How are you finding the picking parts?

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Lunarist

Sorry forgot your capo comment! Yes, i totally agree. In fact it is a bit easier to play capoed at 2, the bass note on the F is a tiny bit easier to "grab" with your thumb than without a capo.

And yes, it sounds nice there. In fact, this pattern sounds nice pretty much anywhere - slap the capo on 7 and try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote