Notifications
Clear all

Bob Marley - Redemption Songs

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lumberjack088)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, first time posting long time reader (past 6 months or so) A lot of yalls songs hahave been really helpful. I would like to equest if anyone has it... Redemption Songs by Mr Marley. Ive learned the intro a long long time ago (6 years ago) and have it QUITE mastered :lol: however I can go no farther after that.... Ive read tab for it a million times over but i have a VERY difficult time picking up a strumming pattern on my own. If someone could please show me the strumming pattern/ chord changes I would be so happy i would probably pee my pants.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

ARRRRRR Beware the scurvy !!!!

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You better put on a diaper before you check this page out: http://www.tabs-guitar.com/red/index.php
You can't veiw all the pages but you can look at every other one. It should give you a general idea.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@lumberjack088)
Topic starter  

Yeah i know ive already been to that site but thank you for looking... and trust me... ive crapped my diaper a half dozen times already... I really just have a horribly difficult time picking up the strum patterns..... Anyone have a strum pattern or anything they can spoon feed me this song please?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

Frank

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That's a pretty cool site. If they had a lot more songs I might use it.

The strum is actually shown there. I had to study it a few minutes, but I figured their method out.

1) The first vertical line that spans all 6 strings is beat 1.
2) The small vertical line between strings 3 and 4 are beats 2 and 4.
3) The vertical line that spans strings 2 through 5 is beat 3.

That is a 16th note pattern. So,

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and 4 e and a etc... - This is how you count.

You would alternate strum down and up to this count.
v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^ or DUDUDUDUDUDUDU (same thing)

So, if you look at the very 1st measure of the VERSE, your strumming pattern would be

D-DU-UD-D--U-UD- These are all 16th notes including the dashes.

I hope you know what I'm saying.

Fortunately, this song is pretty slow. So go one measure at a time, practice it until you have the feel.

I hope this helped.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member

Thanks Wes. :D I actually get it, I can't believe it but I do. :D I hope lumberjack088 gets it as well.

Anyways, it appears that all the songs on that page are in that form, I wonder if the same pattern applies to all the songs there. Meaning just look and see how many strums there are in each beat and apply your method.

I'll try it for a couple of other songs and see if it works.

Thanks again,

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@lumberjack088)
Topic starter  

hmmmmmmmm, Thanks Wes... I'll certainly give it a whirl when i get home from work tonight... I'll let yall know how it goes...

Frank

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Have any of you heard Joe Strummer's version of Redemption song? It's on his last (posthumous) album with the Mescaleros called "Streetcore".

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/joe-strummer.htm

Just Joe strumming an acoustic and singing. Same chords as the original but with a capo on the 3rd fret (I think the chord shapes used are: G, C, D, Em, Am). Great version of the song and easy to play!

8)

P.S. I heard another version on a recent flight where Joe Strummer sang this with Johnny Cash. Esentially the same version with Joe and Johnny alternating vocals on the the verses. Personally, I prefer the Joe Strummer solo version.

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@lumberjack088)
Topic starter  

GREAT!!! Ive got the first verse down... my next question would be when i came to the chorus... going by your model of breaking down the notes into a strum pattern.....
so i play the pattern: dududud

but when i play that it just dont sound right..... Is that right?

Thanx for the help guys and i apologize for my musically challenged ear..... well ears both of them suck

Frank

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I took at look at the beginning of the chorus (the 1st little square box).
There is two full measures shown there. The pattern was;

DUDUDUD-DUDU-UD- 1st Measure

DUD-DUD-DUDU-UD- 2nd Measure

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote