Notifications
Clear all

Brand New Easy Song Database

39 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I can help with coding too if necessary. I don't have enough time to be the main person responsible but I have some mad debugging skills that might come in handy. :)

oktay

Edit: Disclaimer: I didn't mean to say there will be bugs in your code. :P

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Can code exist without bugs? :lol:

TZ

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Can code exist without bugs? :lol:

TZ
Yes, but help desks can't :lol: :twisted:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

I have some mad debugging skills that might come in handy. :)

Thanks for the offer oktay, I'll keep you in mind.
:shock:

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just been reading back through this thread, and a couple of questions spring to mind...

I've entered quite a few songs on here, I always made a note of thr URL's so I can go back to them....if you want me to resubmit them for a new ESD, does that mean just the original tab as entered?

Will all the previous discussions be lost? People have been known to submit additional lyrics, alternative chords, strum patterns etc...be a shame to lose those ....

unless you're tninking of something along the lines of "originally submitted by (NAME) - Fred bloggs suggested Cadd9 instead of the C, Herbert suggested a DD/UDU strum pattern, and Harry submitted the additional lyrics...." in which case we'd have to cut and paste sections of the replies....

Will the new ESD be sticking to a similar format to the existing one? ie Submission - comments & corrections and THEN stored elsewhere?

What would be a good idea is if we could all agree to post in the same Format....use the same font on Notepad or Wordpad, then cut and paste for submission using code .....

And a minor point, but a valid one none the less....will the number of posts on the old ESD - when it's finally scrapped - be lost and deducted from current total?

Pappa John, good luck mate...I know nothing about PHP and mySQL, but if there's anyway I can help...it's a worthwhile project, but a MASSIVE one by the look of things....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think we would still have to have the discussion here with a link to the song in the ESD. Then in the ESD a link should also be entered back to the forum discussion to complete the circle. I guess we could add the dialog process in the DB but that may be a little complex like writing another forum so I don't think it is worth it when we already have a good place for discussions.

I think as far as existing songs go we should all take the ones we posted in the forum and enter them in the DB. And of course add the links.

In the forum the search is pretty much on the song title and/or artist but in the DB there can be all sorts of searches and sorts like chords, title, artist etc..

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nils, whem you say "a link to the song in the ESD, does that mean the main body of work is going to be stored on a site other than GN? That's the impression I get....

A good idea in some ways, not so good in others...I know it'll reduce bandwidth, it'll be easier to search, and easier to do an alphabetical search, whether by artist or song....

But what happens when a submitted song - after dialogue, crredtions, and alternatives are discussed - is stored off-site? We might have to have another new forum - questions on ESD songs, similar to the "Lessons" forum, just for on-goig dialogue....

And when a song's deleted/transferred, will the number of posts be deleted as well? (going back to that "minor point" there) - I've had a lot of posts deleted in the past, I can live with that....but I'd be close to 4000 posts at least by now if the forums weren't tidied up every now and then....I'll continue this elsewhere.....

I think the Coffee House - even though i only drink Tea/Beer/Cider and whisky is the place for this.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am not sure where the ESD would physically be stored but I don't think it will actually be part of the main forum although it could be on the same server. The post on the forum would just announce the new song and have a link to find the place within the ESD that the local post is referencing. The big difference in the forum would be that the initial post would not include all of the tab and initial instructions entered by the submitter. In my view the initial post would just be an Announcement type of post that the song is in the ESD followed by any discussion regarding the song. So what I am suggesting is that the ESD be accessible from the forum but the discussion about the song stays in the forum. Kind of like when someone puts a link in to a lesson on the main GN web page with a question about it then we discuss it in length.

I also don't think the post for the current songs would disappear. The author could just cut and paste the original song into the ESD and then edit the original post (post #1) to be just a link and leave the remaining dialog (posts #2 to #nn). The original concept was just to create a user friendly interface for finding songs with some control over content format and was not meant as a means to free up a lot of resources on the forum, although it could.

I hope this makes it clear that only the song is "off-site" and the discussion remains on the forum. Could some of your posts go away? More than likely not since the post remains just smaller. However, some cleanup could ensue which could cause you to lose some posts.

These are just my opinions and PappaJohn may have different ideas.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@pappajohn)
Honorable Member

Pappa John, good luck mate...I know nothing about PHP and mySQL, but if there's anyway I can help...it's a worthwhile project, but a MASSIVE one by the look of things....
Thanks Vic, I'll keep the offer in mind. The php and MySQL are not a problem as I have a good bit of experience.

I have not had a chance to discuss the details of this with Paul or Nick, so at this point everything is just in the planning stages. But, a few of the ideas I have had:

Generally, I'm thinking along the same lines as Nils. The ESD will be stored off-site from GN with appropriate links back and forth. I have no intention of turning the ESD into another forum, I'd prefer to leave all of the discussion at GN.

I can't answer as to what will happen with the existing posts / post counts here at GN - that's for Paul, Nick and crew to decide - although there are a couple of options I will discuss with them at the appropriate time.

As far as standardizing on fonts, etc - that will all be handled by the ESD posting system. I plan on seperate input areas for the posters comments and the song submission itself, automatically using monospaced fonts where appropriate.

Nils mentioned additional searching options. Again, I'm thinking along similar lines and that is the reason for some compatibility issues. I'm planning search capabilities for title, genre, artist, chords, pick styles (flatpick, fingerpick, etc) and probably a couple others that aren't coming to mind at the moment.

Vic: instead of one thread to cover all submissions of a song (ie: where you post tab for a song and then I post my version as a reply to yours), I'm envisioning a seperate entry for each submission. So your posting of a song and mine would be in different entries, but the search would list both of them.

I'm still getting my new house sorted out, but I plan on getting back to this soon. I appreciate all of the interest and any other ideas you guys might have.

-- John

"Hip woman walking on a moving floor, tripping on the escalator.
There's a man in the line and she's blowin' his mind, thinking that he's already made her."

'Coming into Los Angeles' - Arlo Guthrie

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3