Broken Down Angel - Nazareth

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nazareth - Broken Down Angel

Another one from the seventies, this one's a good song to practise those barre chords on....

Intro.......

E|----------------------------------|
B|--------9-10-12b14r12-10-12b14r12-|
G|-9-9-11---------------------------|

E|----------------------------------|
B|----------------------------------|
G|11b13r11-9-11b13r11---11b13r11-9--|
D|--------------------9-------------|

First Verse.....

(E/Eb)She (D)used to be someone you could (E)depend on,
To (D)brighten up your (A)coldest winter (E)day,
But the (B)one she leaned upon,
Let her (E)down, now has moved (A)on,
And (E)morning brings a(B)nother empty (E)day.

(Here there's a little fill....)

E|-------12----------12--|
B|---9-----9-----9-----9-|
G|-9---9-----9-9---9-----|

(Chorus)

(E)Now she's (A)only a (B)broken down (E)angel,
She's (A)only a (B)bird who's broke a (E)wing,
She's (C#m)only some(B)one,
Some(A)one who's gone (B)wrong,
She's (A)only a (B)child who's lost her (E)way.

(Repeat Intro, then....)

Second Verse.....

(E/Eb)She (D) used to be a girl of simple (E(pleasures,
A (D)breath of spring to (A)chase your blues a(E)way,
But (B)now she bears a cross,
For a (E)love that she has (A)lost,
No (E)sunshine in her (B)eyes just clouds of (E)grey.

Repeat that little fill from the end of the first verse,repeat the chorus - then, instead of

going into the intro riff again, hold the E chord for an extra bar, then.......

E|------------------------------14-18-16h18p16p14-|
B|-11-11-11p9----14-------------------------------|
G|------------11----13b15r13p11-------------------|

E|----------------------------------------------------|
B|----9-11-11-11p9----14-14h16-14-14h16-14------------|
G|-11--------------11----------------------11-12-13-9-|

Repeat chorus, repeat pre-chorus riff, then the whole thing fades away........

One of my favourite bands of the 70's - they put out some great singles, and their albums were pretty good too - I actually preferred them to Led Zep...just! This was their first hit single, this and the album "Razamanaz" were produced by Roger Glover of Deep Purple fame....he gave them the harder edge they previously lacked.

Enjoy.......!

PS A little advice for those using code.......don't make the lines too long, I had to edit this by cutting the intro into two sections.......

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I am soooooooooo disappointed no-one has responded to this - they were a great rock band, I saw them live a few times - they were brilliant, if it hadn't been for Dan McCafferty's habit of talking in the middle of a song, you'd have sworn they were miming.....

Check out "This Flight Tonight", Shanghai'd in Shanghai, My White Bicycle, and the best version ever of "Love Hurts".....

Oh and Manny Charlton is right up there with Page and Walsh as a real contender for best slide guitar player in history....

:( :( :( :( :(

*Vic now goes and sits in corner, sulking, playing Vigilante man*

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Vic

I remember Nazareth, but the only song I know is Love Hurts.

I have heard that Nazareth was one of the loudest live acts ever.

Sorry about no response, I just didn't know this one.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I'm With Wes here. Besides Love Hurts only other Nazareth tune I know is Hair of The Dog.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well go out and get some!!! Trust me on this one, guys - have I let you down yet?

No - well go find some Nazareth, they are one of the most under-rated Rock Bands of all time, even Ry Cooder's version of "Vigilante Man" doesn't come close to Nazareth's ......Razamanaz is a really great album, not a weak track on it....

Love Hurts is the track you seem to know best over there on the other side of the pond, it's a real good song but nowhere near as good as the stuff on Razamanaz and Rampant....

I've seen 'em live a few times, the first time was Nov 20 1975....you don't forget a gig like that.......it was at the Liverpol Empire, my ears were sore for a week...after seeing them in Manchester on the 21st and Preston on the 23rd........yes, they were that good!!!!

and they're still touring now, albeit without the great Manny Charlton....and sadly, the original drummer, Darryl Sweet, died in '99.....

But McCafferty still has that voice, and Pete Agnew is still the bass player....ah sod it, going to listen to the "Greatest Hits" CD again.......

honestly, you don't know what you're missing.......!

ReplyQuote
(@timbit)
Eminent Member

Vic

I've always liked
This Flight Tonight .It is a great version of a Joni Mitchell song
There is a clip on
http://www.nazarethditect.co.uk/

timbit

ReplyQuote
(@rockhard)
Eminent Member

Nazareth rocks . Check out their website. They are still recording. They have some ungodly number of records for sale. They also have a fan site in Yahoo groups, for any hardcore fans.

My Karma Ran Over My Dogma

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

My wife loves this so I'll give it a go.
Could you tell me a good strumming pattern and the shapes for E/Eb and C#m please?

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi vick

you're always posting interesting stuff! I'll definitely have to try your Bad Company's "Feel like making love" version and I'm also intrigued by Broken down Angel. I really love Nazareth (own at least eight or ten records), and saw them live a few months ago...old but still able to rock the hall! I agree with you that "razama naz is a great cd, also love "Loud and proud" and may be it would be great to play "Turn on you receiver" from taht cd.

Hi biker regarding the pattern, I should check the record but to start I would try a simple eight notes pattern played with all downstrums (tipical rock pattern), like Dd/Dd/dd dd...I don't remember if it is played with a bit of shuffle (possible since most of Nazareth numbers are quite bluesy) and I guess that you have to change chord every two beats...I'll check and let you know

Matteo

p.s. by the way Vic could you please post some suggested fingerings for the chords? Do you play all with A-shape barre chord of alternate between A-shape and E-shape

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Hi biker

yesterday I took off the cd and I would say that a pattern like D/Ddu/du seems to work well to my ears...didn't check chord changes since I had not printed Vic posting and did not have the chords (I merely tried the apttern muting the strings)

You could also play a dd/dd/dd/dd pattern if you wish

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote