Brown Sugar

18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Classic Rock- Brown Sugar Rolling Stones

Keith Richards, what a burnout. That's what most people think. Let me tell you, he's a guitar genius.How many people you know have written 50 hits? Ever watch him play? Looks like he plays with one finger(almost). That's because he does. Here's one of his classic one finger hits. Well, you need your middle and ring finger too.

e--------------------------------------------
b-----13---12-------5--5----6--6--5----/--12-
g-----12---12-------5--5----5--5--5----/--12- X 4
d-----14---12-------5--5----7--7--5----/--12-
a--------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------

e---------------------------------------------------------------------
b--8----9--8---9---8----5---6--5--6--5---1--1-1---3-3---5-5---6-5-6-5-
g--8----8--8---8---8----5---5--5--5--5---1--1-1---3-3---5-5---5-5-5-5- X 2
d--8---10--8--10---8----5---7--5--7--5---1--1-1---3-3---5-5---7-5-7-5-
a---------------------------------------------------------------------
e---------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, those are parts 1 & 2. Now the verses start

e-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- b------------------------5--5---------------------------------------10--10------- g-5-5--5--5-5--5--5-5-5--5--5-5-5---10-10--10--10-10--10--10-10-10--10--10-10-10- d-5-5--7--5-5--7--5-5-7-------7-5---10-10--12--10-10--12--10-10-12---------12-10- a-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e----------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------5--5-------1--1-1--3-3--5-5--6-5-6-5--
g--5-5--5--5-5--5--5-5-5---5--5-5-5---1--1-1--3-3--5-5--5-5-5-5--
d--5-5--7--5-5--7--5-5-7--------7-5---1--1-1--3-3--5-5--7-5-7-5--
a----------------------------------------------------------------
e----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, here's the cool chorus

e-----------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------13-12-13-12---5-5---6-5-6-5---5-5---6-5-6-5--
g------0-------------------12-12-12-12---5-5---5-5-5-5---5-5---5-5-5-5-- X 2 Part 2
d------0--------------5----14-12-14-12---5-5---7-5-7-5---5-5---7-5-7-5--
a------X--------5--7----------------------------------------------------
e--3---3--/--7----------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's it. Keep guitar simple. Just like Keith.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

hey wes, that looks cool man. i'm gonna give it a try as soon as i get the chance to.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe your band can do a HEAVY version!

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hmmmmmm....interesting.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Slow it down, or speed it up, it might work. Some great lyrics and singing there.

:>)  Wes

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I know this isn't the theory page, but can you explain what he's doing there?  Triads, right?
     Oh, and isn't it spelled Keif? ;)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

His name is Keith.

I am not a theory guy. So they can explain that.

First of all, Keith Richards plays a 5 string guitar. No high E string I believe. He also likes to use open tunings. This is why it is difficult to capture his sound on songs like Honky Tonk Woman and Jumping Jack Flash. But he also uses regular tuning.

Holding a bar over the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings with his first finger is something he loves to do. He does it in many songs. He's just leaving off the root bass note.

e---X------------X-------------------------
B---2------------3-------------------------
G---2------------2-------------------------
D---2------------4-------------------------
A---X------------X-------------------------
E---X------------X-------------------------

Here is an A Major chord played this way (1 finger). By dropping his ring finger down on the 4th fret, and his 2nd finger down on the 3rd fret, now you have a D chord. Yes, I guess these are inversions. The A has a E note on top, and the D has a F# on top. This is simply a I, IV change. This is used in thousands of Rock songs. He lets his Bass player take care of the bass note.

The whole point I was trying to show with this song is that you do not always have to play full chords. You can play partial chords or inversions and let the Bass player take care of the low end. I was also trying to show that there are easy ways to play the guitar. Easy fingering. It is not cheating to play easy forms, it is smart.

Keith pretty much plays this whole song with his first finger going up and down the neck. How easy can it get? That's the point.

In a week or so, I will tab some other songs that use this easy technique.

I would also like the theory guys to explain this stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@dave2k2)

Great song, thanks for the tab. Anyone got any tips on how to get a Keith like tone for this song. Heard it live on last tour and love the sound.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Welcome to GuitarNoise Dave!

Wow, Keith Richards. He's got the best gear in the world. I read someplace he uses Mesa/Boogie amps. I know he likes Telecasters.

What was he using when you saw him?

Whatever the best is, he probably got 10 of them.  :o

Wes

ReplyQuote
(@dave2k2)

Thanks for the Welcome Wes

He used a Telecaster for most stuff and seemed to be using old Fender Twins. Pity we cant all afford that sort of amp  ;D

Think i'm going to try learn Street Fightin Man which is in Open G, its got a great intro and does'nt look too hard.

Dave

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Wes, Thanks, for posting this. This is one of the first Stones songs I ever heard. ALthough, I think it's the low E string Keith likes to remove. I could be wrong though.  ;D

No matter. Killer tab. I know you've got a whole head full of great rock songs. Appreciate you sharing.  ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks

Would you or others like to see more Classic Rock? I always went for the heavier songs of the day. If so, yeah, I know a lot.

I also know some modern stuff like Disturbed, Saliva, POD, System of a Down.

I have a famous classic I'm going to try to tab when I get home tonight. After that, a modern song.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Thanks

Would you or others like to see more Classic Rock? I always went for the heavier songs of the day. If so, yeah, I know a lot.

I also know some modern stuff like Disturbed, Saliva, POD, System of a Down.

I have a famous classic I'm going to try to tab when I get home tonight. After that, a modern song.

I'm always up for classic rock. There isn't enough words in the world to describe the feeling of being able to play your favorite songs. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Twisted Fingers

Thank you very much. I know many songs from the 60's and 70's, but surprisingly very few from the 80's. Married with children you know. Then I started playing heavily again in the 90's.

I hope the young people enjoy these songs. I know when I first started I would get records of the old blues players from the 20's, 30's and 40's. Plus I tried to learn a lot of the early 50's rock. I think it's good to know your roots. Plus, a good song always sounds great.

I would enjoy a little feedback. It would be nice to know if anyone actually learns these songs. If you have any requests let me know.

I never had a lot of natural talent, but one thing I was blessed with was a very good ear. I was able to figure out songs by ear right away. For the most part I think you will find them very accurate.

Thanks again Twisted.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it is the low E he often, though not always, removes - to avoid the drone.

David's got a lesson on Happy -- another great Richards open G tune.  That's a great one working with some of the principles used by Keef that Wes is talking about.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=80

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2