Clear all

Creedence Clearwater revival's LODI

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello guys, it's quite a lot since I posted a song and this time I suggest you another Creedence Clearwater Revival number. Really I know this song because of Tesla's “Five man acoustical jam” album, the record which started the unplugged album trend in the early nineties, but I managed to listen to Creedence's original one and they're almost identical. Anyway, having said that I took off the chords from the http://www.chordie.com website, here we go

Chords: they are all quite accessible there is only a F chord which can be also played open with this fingering

6 = X
5 = x
4 = 3
3 = 2
2 = 1
1 = 0

So it's like a C chord played one string lower

I also tend to play the G chord with a 3rd fret barre on sixth string since it is easier to change with F, and the same goes for G7 chord (just move an E7 shape three frets) but of course you could play it open like this

6 = 3
5 = 2
4 = 0
3 = 0
2 = 0
1 = 1

Chord changes and time signature:

The song is in 4/4 (count 1 to four for a measure) and the chords all change each measure except for each verse' first line C which lasts two measures

Strummin pattern:

Like most of Creedence songs Lodi it is based on eight notes resolution so any eight note pattern you like, also a simple Du/du/du/du, really works.

I tend to play it with a two measures pattern that goes like this:

D/du/du/du (first measure), D/du/u/du (second measure)

If you wish you could substitute the first downstrum of each measure with a bass note or also opt with a “cowboy strum” approach like this

B/D/du/du

Another chance is to anticipate chord changes on the 4th beat so that the resulting pattern would become something like

D/D/du/du*/miss/D/du/du

* = change chord on the upstrum

If you wish to fingerpick it I'd go with a simple straight eight notes pattern like this

T,I,M,I (play twice for a measure)

Or anything you'd like

I think that I gave you enough hints but as our master David would say, after learning the song with a basic pattern, everyone should try to find his own one

Ok here is the song and let me know any mistakes

Matteo

C)Just about a year ago
I (F)set out on the (C)road.
Seekin' my fame and (Am)fortune,
(F)Lookin' for a pot of (G7)gold.
(C)Things got bad and (Am)things got worse,
I (F)guess you know the (C)tune
Oh, Lord! I'm (G7)stuck in Lodi a(F)gain (C).

(C)Rode in on the greyhound, I'll be (F)walkin' out if I (C)go.
I was just passing (Am)through must be (F)seven months or (G7)more.
(C)Ran out of time and (Am)money, (F)looks like they took my (C)friends.
(Am)Oh, Lord! I'm (G)stuck in Lodi a(F)gain. (C)

(C)The man from the magazine, said (F)I was on my (C)way.
Somewhere I lost con(Am)nections, (F)ran out of songs to (G7)play,
I (C)came in to town (Am)a one night stand, (F)looks like my plans fell (C)through.
Oh, Lord! I'm (G7)stuck in Lodi a(F)gain. (C)

(C)If I only had a dollar for (F)ev'ry song I (C)sung.
Ev'ry time I've had (Am)to play while (F)people sat there (G7)drunk.
(C)You know I'd catch the (Am)next train,
(F)Back to where I (C)live.
(Am)Oh, Lord! I'm (G)stuck in Lodi a(F)gain. (C)

(@chuckntracy05)

I've been playing this tune in Bb with a key change to C for the last verse. Always sounded spot on. Your version is definitely simpler though.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi mate

you're probably right, since I've found some tabs in the key of Bb. As you said I chose this one since it is simpler..may be is it time for me to use the capo?

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Thanks for this one matteo.

Next to Bad Moon Rising this is probably my favourite CCR song. Do you have an intro for it?

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Thanks for this one matteo.

Next to Bad Moon Rising this is probably my favourite CCR song. Do you have an intro for it?

Chris

Chris, Shug here. I don't have an intro for the Key of C as I find the key change in the last verse to Key of D is beyond my vocal range. Playing in Key of Bb is beyond me right now (but I'm working on it). So, I just play it in Key of G with a Capo on the 3rd fret (although sometimes I put it on the 2nd fret.) Anyway, here's an Intro I transcribed in G and an OUTRO in A due to the chord change on the last verse:

INTRO: G Chord
e ----------------------------------------------------------
B --0--0--1--1/3--3--3----0--0h1-1--1-1-1-0----------------
G --0--0--2--2/4--4--4----0--0h2-2--2p0-0-0----------------
D ---------------------------------------2-0---0h2-0---0----
A ---------------------------------------------------2------
E -------------------------------------------------------3--

OUTRO:
A Chord
e -----------------------------------------------------------
B --2--2--3--3/5--5--5---2--3--3--3----3---2----------------
G --2--2--4--4/6--6--6---2--4--4--4p2--2---2----------------
D --------------------------------------4---2---2h4-2----2---
A --------------------------------------------4--------4-----
E -----------------------------------------------------------

(BTW, in addition to BMR, my CCR favorites are Born on the Bayou and Green River :D )

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Well thank you there shug,

Just been having a go at that intro. Easy enough fingering but I've got to work on it. I've been trying out the capo positions you suggested too but I've got to keep me voice down with other's in the house. Never mind Saturday is coming, and I can play the original at full blast on the CD and play along with Foggers & Co.

Thanks again matteo and shug. :D :D :D

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This was one of the first tabs I did for the ESD - I did it in a different key though, and if memory serves me rightly I did it for one guitar with a lead line thrown in.....

Probably on page (last -1) by now........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Here it is Vic:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=7723

Sorry to hear about your accident, listen to the Docs, do all the physio, you will be back at it in no time. We are all cheering for you and need you on this forum
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This was one of the first tabs I did for the ESD - I did it in a different key though, and if memory serves me rightly I did it for one guitar with a lead line thrown in.....

Probably on page (last -1) by now........

Vic

Hi Vic

i found out your version...soryy but I did not noticed since I searched for "CCR" in the database and it showed me a lot of CCR songs but not Lodi...may be I should have searched by song name :(

Sorry if I ask you this, but reading Robbie's post i'm wondering if it is all Ok or if you had some kind of trouble

If so I send you my best wishes for a fast and full recovery

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Chris, I had a little time, so I edited the intro (in G) and the Outro (in A). I think you'll find this an improvement over my first stab at it.

Vic, I too hope all is okay with you. Not sure what's going on, but all my best. I'm a "Johnny-come-lately" to this board and I have found your posts to be of immense value!! (Particularly, like the Creedence postings :wink: ) Whatever the situation, take care of yourself!! Shug

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Er, check the news forum....bad news and mpre bad news....

But I'm glad you liked the CCR tabs......

I can now play along with the entire greatest hits album - rhythm, of course.... or at least I hope I will be able to soon......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote