Crying - Roy Orbison

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

"He had so many hit songs and people could sit and listen to him all night. He didn't have to do anything, he didn't have to wiggle his legs, in fact he never even twitched, he was like marble. The only things that moved were his lips - even when he hit those high notes he never strained . . . We'd be waiting there and he'd do another big encore and we'd be thinking: 'How are we going to follow this?' "

George Harrison on the Beatles having to follow Roy Orbison on stage while touring together in 1963- The Beatles Anthology

* I use a basic strum pattern of DDD DDD DDD to mimick the drumbeat. In some places (Chorus and Coda for example) the beat is D DDD DDD. Hopefully this is all self-evident when you play the song.

* I change the strum in lines 3 & 4 of Verses 1 & 2 to basically follow the words. I tend to use a d d d u d d, with a quick du on the D+ chord change.

* Hold the G and Gm chords in Verses 1&2.

D+: xx0332 (this is easily accomplished when moving from the D chord by leaving the middle finger anchored, raising the index, and moving the ring and pinky to the 3rd and 2nd strings, respectively.

Gm: xx0333 or 355333

A7: x02223

F#m: 244222

Bm: x04432 or 224432

Crying - Roy Orbison

Intro: D D D D
/ /// /// ///

Verse 1:

D
I was all right for a while

I could smile for a while

But I saw you last night
D+
You held my hand so tight
G (pause - n.c) Gm
As you stopped to say hello
D A7
Oh you wished me well, you couldn't tell

That I'd been

Chorus 1:

D F#m
Crying over you
D F#m
Crying over you
G A
Then you said so long
G A
Left me standing all alone
D D+ G Gm
Alone and crying, crying, crying, crying

Post-Chorus:

D
It's hard to understand
A7
But the touch of your hand
D
Can start me crying

Verse 2:

D
I thought that I was over you

But it's true, so true

I love you even more
D+
Than I did before
G Gm
But darling, what can I do
D
Now you don't love me
A7
And I'll always be

Chorus 2:
D F#m
Crying over you
D F#m
Crying over you
G A
Yes, now you're gone
G A
And from this moment on
D D+ G Gm
I'll be crying, crying, crying, crying

Coda:

D Bm
Yeah crying, cry-ing
G A7 D A7 D G D D D D
Oh-oh-oh-over you

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Good one shug,

Nice to see your becoming a regular on this forum. This is a good entry point for us all to The Big O's work. Can't wait to try it out tonight.

Good introspective quote on The Beatles reaction to him. It shows how they had no idea at that time that they would become so big and that they held deep respect for established stars.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Chris! Just trying to do my part as I have taken great advantage of the posts you and others have provided on this site. Keep them coming! Shug

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote