Clear all

Eagles's "Tequila sunrise"

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Recently I've playing a lot Eagles since they're quite easy to approach for an almost beginner like me, also their sound could be reproduced with classic and acoustic guitars so they're perfect. One of the song I learnt to play alongside the cd is “Tequila sunrise”, of course in a quite simple strummed version and so this is the one I post here.

Disclaimer: I've been starting to have a grasp on rhythms but I'm not able to find out the chords of a song , so for each song I post I usually take the chord sheet from Internet, usually from sites like http://www.guitartabs.cc or http://www.chordie.com : the strummin is actually what I “developed” (not sure about the word sorry) playing alongside the cd, so this is my only real contribution. Just to tell you that I do not want to have credits which I do not deserve.

First thing the chords: the main progression is G-G-D-D-Am-D7-G -G (8 measures), with a small variation in Em-C-Em-C-Em-Am-Am-D7 (also 8 measures), nothing that could really discourage anyone :-). The bridge is a bit more tricky since it involves an Am-D-Bm-E-Am-B-Em7-A progression (8 measures). I play B and Bm with barre on second fret, just remember that Bm is an Am on the fourth fret with barre on the second fret. Of course they are the chords I play worser but I do not care as long as the playing goes on fluid.

Strummin: it is quite simple because it is basically a slow D/du/udu pattern so the only thing you have to learn is to properly miss the downstrum on beat three. If you play it properly the sound of the first upstrum should be as long as the one of the first downstrum since they're both one quarter notes: so you should listen something like

“ton”-ta-ton” “tatataton”- ta-ton” -“tatataton” and so on

I could not empashize how important is to learn this pattern since it is one of the more widely used in pop/rock music, also in a lot of hard rock slow songs: someone called it the “desert island” strum and it is so true.

Anyway let me know any mistakes

Matteo

Chords used:

E A D G B e
+-----------+
A x 0 2 2 2 0
Am 0 0 2 2 1 0
B x x 4 4 4 2
Bm x x 0 4 3 2
C 0 3 2 0 1 0
D x 0 0 2 3 2
D7 x x 0 2 1 2
Em 0 2 2 0 0 0
Em7 0 2 2 0 1 0
G 3 x 0 0 0 3
+-----------+

Tequila Sunrise

G
It's another tequila sunrise
D Am D7 G
Starin' slowly 'cross the sky, said goodbye
G
He was just a hired hand
D Am D7 G
Workin on the dreams he planned to try, the days go by

Em C
Every night when the sun goes down
Em C Em
Just another lonely boy in town
Am D7
And she's out runnin' round

G
She wasn't just another woman
D Am D7 G
And I couldn't keep from comin' on, it's been so long
G
Oh and it's a hollow feelin'
D Am D7 G
When it comes down to dealin' friends, it never ends

Am D
Take another shot of courage
Bm E Am B Em7 A
Wonder why the right words never come, you just get numb

G
It's another tequila sunrise
D Am D7 G
This old world still looks the same, another frame

(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Lovely Job Matteo,

Just tried this out, got the strum pattern straight away from memory. Another great Eagles song for the ESD. Well done. Getting the B chord is a bit tricky as "everyone knows here I'm no barre chord player" but its worth the struggle.
Must try it out with the CD.

Thanks again,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nice one.
Played right through until the bridge. (B chords are my weakness, have to work more on those)
Edit: For those barre chord challenged like myself, I am playing a partial Bm XX4432 and substituting B7 for B ( B7 X21202)

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

For anyone interested in trying a little more tricky strumming pattern try this one.

D UDU D UDU

The first UDU is done twice as fast as the rest of the strumming pattern. So if the strumm is in 1/4 notes do that section in 8ths. It is not as difficult as is might sound. I believe that is pretty close to the way the Eagles played it, at least in the recording that I have.

You can also try replaceing the same UDU with a slower than normal Up strumm say a half note.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member

If you can hammer on and pull off the second fret on the d string while playing the open g chord(ie hammer on and pull of an e note), it sounds good and a lot like the intro on the recording. You can also hear this being played throughout the song. Theory wise by doing this you are alternating between a g and a g6 chord. If you look at some of the tabs on the net for this song you'll likely see a g and g6 chord in the intro.

Hope this helps

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If you can hammer on and pull off the second fret on the d string while playing the open g chord(ie hammer on and pull of an e note), it sounds good and a lot like the intro on the recording. You can also hear this being played throughout the song.
If you do the hammer on right after the D UDU for every G chord it is dead on for the song.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dsus4)
Eminent Member

Ya, hammer on makes the song. Here's my strum: D UDU UDU. Play the second U(p) a little harder too. You hammer on the second U(p) stroke on the G chord. Also on the D7, I play D7 as D UD and then switch to D chord and finish that strum with the U UDU. That's not in the original version but adds some depth to the song.

ReplyQuote
(@drink2much)
Eminent Member

great job on this post, if you can figure out the Bm E Am B, then you have a n easier time with "while my guitar" also in the ESD.

Thanks-

There are about five things to write songs about: I'm leaving you. You're leaving me. I want you. You don't want me. I believe in something. Five subjects, and twelve notes. For all that, we musicians do pretty well.
Elvis Costello- Esquire, NOV 03

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

For your interest, there's an additional verse which was played at certain points in 1973.

Guess I'll go to Mexico, down to where the pace is nice and slow
There's no one there I know,
It's another tequila sunrise, wonderin' if I'm growing wise
Or telling lies.

This was the closing verse:

see here to see how it fits.

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@cwabbott68)

the problem with the actual strum pattern is the time signature changes.

ReplyQuote