Clear all

Gilbert O'Sullivan "Matrimony"

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here is one from way back with fantastic lyrics Like all of his songs. not his best work but a very lively song and I'm sorry to see will be the only Gilbert O'Sullivan song on the ESD. Something will have to be done about this !

Don't be afraid of the chord names, because you will see its just a case of lifting a finger or two from the open C on the main hook of the tune and I'm sure by now most of you are able to form an F chord (barred or other)
There is a bit more difficulty in the middle eight in the speed of the changes.

I will put up link to this song on youtube for those of you who don't know it.
It is, I know a piano song, but it lends to guitar very well.

Strumming pattern ???? I listened to the song and there is a definate rhythm thats cannot be mistaken so this shoud be very easy to work out

Heres the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSsWxIcLvPo

Chords:
C x32010
C Am x32210
Asus/B x32200
F x03211
G 320033

(Verse 1)
C C Am
I've no wish to hurry you luv
Asus4/B C Am
But have you seen the time
C F G
It's quarter to ten and we're supposed to be there
G
At nine
F G
I don't think the registrar
F G
Will be very pleased
F G
When we show up an hour late
C C Am Asus/B
Like two frozen peas

(Verse 2)
C C Am
Both now facing for the first time
Asus/B C Am
Presently and past
F
Something that begins with m
C7
And ends in alas
F
More than not complete disaster
G C
Even from the start
F G
What could it be...
G C C Am Asus/B
It's matrimony

(Verse 3)
I know how you've dreamt about
Being walked down the aisle
But think of the money we'll save
And you'll see it's worthwhile
It won't please our mums and dads
But they don't even know,
Besides if they did what's the bet,
They wouldn't even go

(Verse 4)
You and me are all that matters
Disregard the rest
Trust your soon to be old man
He knows what is best
Very shortly now there's going to be
An answer from you
Then one from me
That's matrimony

(Middle)
E C7
I'm truly grateful for the little things in life
F C
That have made me so glad
F C
Every other hour that i spend with you
F
Is not in the least bit sad
G F
Quite the opposite in fact
Am
And if you don't believe me
E
Here's the proof
E F G F C7
Ask me if i and i'll say "aye, i do----oo"

(Play 1st verse again without singing then...)

(Verse 5)
You and me are all that matters
Disregard the rest
Trust your soon to be old man
He knows what is best
Very shortly now there's going to be
An answer from you
Then one from me
That's matrimony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Dear me, Rodders, where'd you dig this one up from? I was never a fan of Gilbert's, but back in the early 70's there was no getting away from him, was there!

Great line in this song - "something that begins in M and ends in alas"......hmmm, been there done that - more than once. Almost on a par with Oscar Wilde's thoughts on matrimony - "A man is incomplete until he's married. Then he's finished...."

I think I'll check the youtube link out, see if the clothes were as silly as I remember.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Not just the clothes. Didn't he have big hair, too?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Dear me, Rodders, where'd you dig this one up from? I was never a fan of Gilbert's, but back in the early 70's there was no getting away from him, was there!

Great line in this song - "something that begins in M and ends in alas"......hmmm, been there done that - more than once. Almost on a par with Oscar Wilde's thoughts on matrimony - "A man is incomplete until he's married. Then he's finished...."

I think I'll check the youtube link out, see if the clothes were as silly as I remember.....

Vic

Laugh all you like mate, but there's no getting away from the fact that he was a great lyricist and made millions from his act.
What was his first hit single ? "Nothing Rhymes"? or "Alone Again" What terrific songs and bear in mind that this guy never sold out and sang other people's songs. His songs are up there with Lennon and McCartney.

As for the parallels drawn by yourself about the lyrics to this one........ Maybe you should have headed the words of one of your heroes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNeLAS3axKI :D :lol: :D

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Laugh all you like mate, but there's no getting away from the fact that he was a great lyricist and made millions from his act.

No arguments here - I liked his early stuff, "Nothing Rhymed" and "We Will" especially. It was the image I found laughable - even by the standards of the 70's and the glam-rock era, he was pretty low on the list of "people you want to look like." Take a look through some of the early videos and you'll see possibly the worst pudding-basin haircut in history!

I did find a lot of his songs to be over-sentimental to the point of twee.....and I absolutely hated "Alone Again Naturally" because it came out around the time my dad died. Even though the lyrics were so true to life (or perhaps BECAUSE they were so true to my own life) I still can't listen to that song, it's just too unbearably sad.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote