Clear all

Hard To Be Humble - Mac Davis

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Following on from Rodders Mac Davis offering, I thought I'd post another of his classics. Dead easy chords. Great comedy lyrics. Wouldn't we all like to be like him!!

This is a perfect sing along song for the pub or just about anywhere

What about the strum pattern I hear you all cry, well the nearest I can get to describe it is that the song has a sort of waltz beat to it. You know what I mean 123 123 123 etc.

Have fun with it anyway, It starts with the chorus which is always good so your in the groove straight off.

Chorus

(A)Oh (D)Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every (A7)way

(A7)I can't wait to look in the mirror 'cause I get better lookin' each (D)day

(D)To know me is to love me I (D7)must be a hell of a (G)man

(A)Oh (D)Lord it's hard to be humble but I'm (A7)doing the best that I (D)can

Verse 1:

I (D)used to (G)have a (D)girlfriend but I guess she just couldn't com(A7)pete

(A7)With all of these love-starved women who keep clamoring at my (D)feet

(D)Well, I probably could find me another but I (D7)guess they're all in awe of (G)me

(G)Who cares I never get (D)lonesome 'cause I (A7)treasure my own compan(D)y

Chorus

Verse 2:

I (D)guess you (G)could say (D)I'm a loner a cowboy outlaw tough and (A7)proud

(A7)Oh I could have lots of friends if I wanna but then I wouldn't stand out in a (D)crowd

(D)Some folks say that I'm egotistical (D7)hell, I don't even know what that (G)means

(G)I guess it has something (D)to do with the way that (A7)I fill out my skin-tight bluejeans(D)

Chorus

Enjoy it.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@rodders)
Noble Member

Sorry Chris but I don't remember this one, so I cant in all honesty comment on it.

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yeah you do Rod!

John and Al played it at Elaine & James's party in July.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Oh, so its No.22 on this page http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000093S001022/0/103-1979663-1385434

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I can't wait to look in the mirror I get better looing each day Oh LORD IT'S HARD TO BE HUMBLE BUT I'M DOIN THE BEST THAT I CAN

thanks for the post have not even thought about this song for years I love it :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

What is this, Mac Davis week? Don't tell me - let me guess - some Auntie bought one of you this for a birthday in the 70's...you've been passing it back and forth ever since....and trying to be out (not answering the phone, hiding behind the sofa) when the other one brings it back....

I haven't heard this one for years either.....

:D :D :D

Vic

Oh no - just had a horrible thought.....which one of you's got it now? And is "Baby Baby don't get hooked on me" next? - I need a holiday!!!

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

LOL
I can have some fun with this one.
I just ran through it.
Here is how i played it.
On the (A)Oh(D) I play a single down strum on the A chord and kind of elongate the vocal. then onto the D, I go into down up down,down up down, down up down, ect.. You can almost feel the 123 you where describing.

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Glad you like it Missileman :D :D

Vic wrote:
Oh no - just had a horrible thought.....which one of you's got it now? And is "Baby Baby don't get hooked on me" next? - I need a holiday!!!

No I haven't got it Vic, I just like the song.

From reading Rodders offering I keep conjuring up this vision of him and you scuttling up to your respective attics with a box containing just a couple of matches or a failing torch only to find that you did buy it on vinyl way back in nineteen hundred and----------"oh hell am I that old" Ouch! burnt me fingers on that last match. Now where's that rafter I was standing on. (sound of cracking plaster) He-----lp.

But seriously, Nearly dug yourself a hole there Chris. Hum---"Digging This Hole" thats a good song, wonder If I can work out the chords and post it on the ESD! Now where did I put that Bernard Cribbins album. Ah the attic!. Don't panic Vic just kidding. :wink: :wink:

LOL

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Glad you like it Missileman :D :D

Vic wrote:

No I haven't got it Vic, I just like the song.

From reading Rodders offering I keep conjuring up this vision of him and you scuttling up to your respective attics with a box containing just a couple of matches or a failing torch only to find that you did buy it on vinyl way back in nineteen hundred and----------"oh hell am I that old" Ouch! burnt me fingers on that last match. Now where's that rafter I was standing on. (sound of cracking plaster) He-----lp.

But seriously, Nearly dug yourself a hole there Chris. Hum---"Digging This Hole" thats a good song, wonder If I can work out the chords and post it on the ESD! Now where did I put that Bernard Cribbins album. Ah the attic!. Don't panic Vic just kidding. :wink: :wink:

LOL

Chris
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm seriously thinking about relocating the stereo to the attic....know what I found last night, when I was trawling through the oldies boxes?

"All Things Must Pass"....huh, if I'd known that was there, I wouldn't have bought it on CD....and "Mind Games"....both in very good condition.... found the mind games single as well, still in the original picture cover.... you know the one, turn it sideways and JL's haircut morphs into Yoko's face.....

If I brought all the "vinyl" boxes downstairs to the living room, there'd be nowhere to sit......

Ah well, one of these days I may get round to cataloguing them all.....but if I ever find out who stole my original signed coy of "Razamanaz".(took it to the opening night of Nazareth's '75 UK tour, Dan, Manny, Daryl and Pete all signed the cover for me.....20th November '75, and I still have the ticket stub somewhere....probably in a box in the attic....) I'll wrap a guitar round his neck....ummm, preferably his guitar, not one of mine....!!!!

I should really dig some of these oldies out and tab 'em.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dustdevil)
Estimable Member

All right! All we need now is Roy Clark's "Thank God and Grayhound You're Gone" and we've got a set.... :)

Haven't thought about that song in years. Really annoys the wife. :twisted:

John A.

They say only a pawnshop guitar can play the blues. An eBay one does it better. A guitar's bound to feel unloved if her owner plasters pictures of her over the internet for all to see and then sells her off to the highest anonymous bidder.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

I'm going to have to look in Dixons or Comet and see whats on offer re' the turntable thing. Like you Vic I've found some very obscure recordings and some old classics. and a couple of Slade singles one of them being "Coz I Luv You"
Plus a copy of the "Mind Games" album and single.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've still got "Coz I Luv You"....on the Polydor label....one of those ex-jukebox singles that used to cost 20p on Earlestown Market, when new 45's had just gone up to 50p....mind you, the tight git used to charge 5p for a clip-in middle....

Maybe we ought to start a new thread on the "opininions and polls" forum....what's your favourite oldie you still have on 45?

I spent £30 on a fidelity stereo record player, about 1976, just because it had a round middle section you could lift up, you could play all those ex-juke box singles without having to buy a middle for every single one of them.....saved me about 20p a week for the next two years, so I think it paid for itself....

I'll tell you the worst mistake I ever made though....I gave my ex-wife's sister and her new husband my treasured copy of "You'll Never Walk Alone" on the original Parlophone label and in the original pale blue Parlophone sleeve on their weddng day.....Rule 1, never let sentimentality get in the way.... and I saw said ex-sister-in-law a few weeks ago, they're about to celebrate their silver wedding, and they still have that 45,,,,,,GRRRRR!!!!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Errrr....by the way, "Coz I Luv You" has 3 chords....Am, Dm and F....shouldn't be too hard to work out.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Maybe we ought to start a new thread on the "opininions and polls" forum....what's your favourite oldie you still have on 45?

Good idea Vic. Go ahead

ReplyQuote