Only love can save us now
All these riddles that you burn
yeah yeah yeah

I alone... (4x)

[E] [G]

Here's how I play:

G D C Cmaj7

Verse:
D/U for each G, D, and C (/ means short break, let ring) Only hit the bottom (high note) strings on the upstroke

DuduUDUD for the Cmaj7 - lowercase strokes are played quicker than uppercase.

The B chord, play a crisp down stroke once (let ring), then slowly and softly lead up with downstrokes to become louder and quicker until you leave it with a downstroke (let ring)

Chorus:
Well, this is under construction, but here's what I got.

EBG
Play through each chords (DU for each, quickly) after you do the DU for the G you can either go to the next line or do a D*U*D then go.

The A is played D*U*D

Interlude part:

Anyone have any thoughts on this one, it's all B straight through.

(@johnkline)

On the interlude I use a Bsus2/F#, it just sounds a little more bassy and darker than a straight B Maj chord. I use the strumming pattern DDuduuddudu, that's for each measure. So you start with
Dduduuddudu
"Oh now we took it back too..."
Dduduuddudu
"far, Only love can save us..."
D.....
now...

Important note is really attack the first beat, when singing ''Oh", and the next line "far"
You'll understand if you've heard the song

ReplyQuote
(@simonb)
Eminent Member

I see the original post is quite old, but I love playing this song on my acoustic so I'll chime in.

For the bridge I play what jguitar tells me is a Bsus4/E (i.e. 024400) (focussing mainly on the 3 fretted strings) for an even bassier and darker still sound than a Bsus2/F# :D I'm not great with transcribing strumming patterns, but I use something along the lines of DdDduuuudu. For the first downstroke I take off my index finger and just play 004400 and then between the first and second downstroke I hammer on again with the index finger (onto the second fret of the A string) and leave it on the rest of the bar then take it off and repeat. (I might try and put up a little sample recording if you want, I imagine it's a lot easier to just hear it than try and explain it). To me just playing the straight chord the whole bridge got a bit boring so that hammer on just adds a bit of variation.

Also, I saw a video of Ed (Live's lead singer) playing it acoustically recently, and he played the verse chords something like
G - 3554xx (it may have been a full barre, 355433, but then just don't hit the two high strings too loudly)
D - x577xx or x57755 (same deal as for the G, but I think they both sound better the first way)
C/Cmaj7 - x35500 (just focus on the A, D and G strings when you first play it then the G, B and e for the little fill bit at the end of each line)

That way doesn't necassarily sound better than playing the 'plain' open chords, just a bit different, but I thought it would be good to share seeing that is how (as far as I could tell) it's played by the guy who knows it best :) Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@dsus4)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys for bringing this back.

If you wouldn't mind Simonb, could you post the recording? It would help hearing it..

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Aye, this is a great song. I'll check it out when I can. Thanks, yo.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@simonb)
Eminent Member

If you wouldn't mind Simonb, could you post the recording? It would help hearing it..
No worries, here is one I whipped up this morning, you can get it at http://stb.dmusic.com/ - it's the one called "I Alone Bridge sample for GN" :D Obviously you would end it differently if you were playing it as part of the full song, I like to switch to a full Bmaj chord and bash that a bit (during the "yeah, yeah, yeah" part).

- Simon

ReplyQuote
(@johnkline)

Hey Simonb, I like your clip for the bridge, I'll have to try that. That little hammer on keeps it rolling...

Here's a link for Eddie's acoustic show gargage sessions down in australia

http://www.triplem.com.au/garagesession/live/index.php

it's streaming media but I've figured out how to save it on the harddrive :)

john

now I need to learn "Turn My Head"

ReplyQuote