Clear all

Its only Love----The Beatles

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thought we ought to have this one added to our list as its pretty simple to play.

Put your capo on the 5th fret and play the chords as if they were open, using the capo as the nut position.

Intro
C Am C Am

C Em Bb F G Gaug5
I get high when I see you go by
My oh my.
C Em Bb F G Gaug5
When you sigh, my, my inside just flies,

Butterflies

F G C Am
Why am I so shy when I'm beside you?
Bb G
It's only love and that is all,
C Am
Why should I feel the way I do?
Bb G
It's only love, and that is all,
F G
But it's so hard loving you.

C Em Bb F G Gaug5
Is it right that you and I should fight

Ev'ry night?

C Em Bb F G Gaug5
Just the sight of you makes night time bright,

Very bright.

F G C Am
Haven't I the right to make it up girl?
Bb G
It's only love and that is all,
C Am
Why should I feel the way I do?
Bb G
It's only love, and that is all
F G
But it's so hard loving you
F G
Yes it's so hard loving you
C Am C Am C Am C
loving you.

For those of us who had to look up Gaug 5 it is

Gaug5 321003

The strumming is fairly straightforward as its just a down stroke and then an up down in quick succession for each chord.
If I get time I will put up up an mp3 of the strumming .

Enjoy,

Rod. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Thanks Rod, I always enjoy playing "new" Beatles songs. I'll try this one when i get home. That Gaug5 otta be fun!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That Gaug5 otta be fun!

Dan

Yeah you gotta re-learn that G chord by fingering 2nd, ring and pinky for the standard and then drop your index down on the first fret. Takes a bit of getting used to, but well worth the effort.

Probably one of George's chords. He always liked the obscure chords, augmented, diminished and the like

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

The small 'signature lick' is pretty simple too.

It's just about first lifting the index finger and later flat down the middle finger

C x32010
Cmaj7 x32000
C6 x32200

D U D U D
1 2 & 3 & 4 1 2 3 4
C Cmaj7 C6 C Am

Lars
*disclaimer*: late

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Excellent! Thanks, Rod. (And Lars.) 8)
I thought I had started a thread awhile back about effects used to get the sound of that signature lick, but the Search function doesn't seem to want to cooperate right now. Anyway, I've used various conbinations of a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus and a Dunlop Uni-Vibe. With the Uni-Vibe on either chorus or vibrato, it sounded pretty good.
Work and other concerns have made it so that I've barely picked up a guitar in weeks, but I just got some new motivation. Can't let the ol' fingertips get lazy. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Another good one Rodders!!! Unbelievably, according to Steve Turner's book "A Hard Day's Write", this was one of the few Beatles songs John really hated, saying in 1969 that "I was always ashamed of that because of the abominable lyrics". !!!!!!! Go figure! Could have just been John "being John" during the interview. Interesting that a song John dissed is remembered as a classic by most others! I agree with George Martin who said he loved John's voice. You can hear that little "cry" in his voice on this song. Thanks for posting this one. I've been playing it non-stop!!

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just stumbled upon this site.. http://www.wolfmarshall.com/Beatles2.htm Great if you want to find that particular beatles sound

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Just great Rod,

Although I found the Bb a bit of a swine to ring clean. Another beauty from the pen of John Winston O'Boogie. What a great album Help was! I wonder why John always seemed to dislike is best songs?

Hey and I like the link to those guitars on the Wolfmarshall site. Even got the authentic feedback out of the strats on "Nowhere Man"

Chris.

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote