Labi Siffre

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

Please can someone help me. I would like to try playing`It must Be Love' by Labi Siffre.

Such a great song with what sounds like a very clever but maybe simple acoustic capo'd intro/hook which runs throughout the song.

It seems that Labi's back catalogue from the early seventies when he had a brilliant hit album and two or three singles has been off the market for a long time. I can't find any chords or tab's to this particular song, or any of his other early stuff. Remember his other Hit `Crying, Laughing, Loving' also totally brilliant. He is a very underated talent in my view and its a shame doesn't get the air play he deserves these days.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@rodders)
Noble Member

Couldnt find the one you wanted Chris, but you may remember this one

(Something Inside) So Strong
By: Labi Siffre

G C
The higher you build your barriers The taller I become
G C
The further you take my rights away The faster I will run
Em Am D G
You can deny me, you can decide To turn your face away
Am
No matter 'cause there's

G C
Something inside so strong
G
I know that I can make it
C G
Though you're doing me wrong, so wrong
C
You thought that my pride was gone, oh no
C Am
There's something inside so strong
C G C G
Oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, something inside so strong

G C
The more you refuse to hear my voice (ooh-weh ooh-weh ooh-weh ooh-weh) The louder I will sing
G C
You hide behind walls of Jericho (ooh-weh ooh-weh ooh-weh ooh-weh) Your lies will come tumbling
Em Am
Deny my place in time, you squander wealth that's mine
D G
My light will shine so brightly it will blind you

Because there's

Em Am G
Brothers and sisters, when they insist we're just not good enough
Em Am
Well we know better, just look him in his eyes and say
C G
We're gonna do it anyway, we're gonna do it anyway
C D
We're gonna do it anyway, we're gonna do it anyway

Because there's

Oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, something inside so strong

(Oh oh oh) oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, something inside so strong

Oh oh-oh-oh-oh, something inside so strong

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

Thanks for that, Rod. (Been wanting to play that one, so I could sing it in my key.) :D

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey Chris, did you ever get anywhere with this one?

I managed to find a version on youtube... It Must Be Love ... but it's beyond me what he's doing! It soundslike he's playing something like this for the intro.... Em, x 7 9 9 8 7 followed by Em(add9) x 7 9 11 8 7, then going into D and G chords.....but his hands are up near the nut. You can do the Em(add9) by putting on an Em chord...022000 - then making the ninth(F#) by fretting the top E string at the 2nd with your pinky... 022002.

Maybe he's only playing the top three-four strings? There's a distinct lack of bassy tones....and then further on his hands are all over the place, much higher up the neck....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

No i didn't get any further with it Vic.

Thanks for trying to sort it out from that clip though. It sounds as though there's another guitar in there while he's playing the middle picked solo.

I wish more of his music was available in tab. I tried out his website but it seems he's retired from the music business and is concentrating more on his poetry and human rights these days. I'd still like to get this song nailed though.

If I remember correctly the version of this song he did on TOTP's way back then was more definitive.

I never did like the 'Madness' version and it was probably in another key as well.

Chris :) :) :)

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote