Clear all

Lay Lady Lay - Bob Dylan

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post some playing notes (strum, timing, etc.) for Bob Dylan's Lay Lady Lay. As a beginner I still have trouble translating tabs into an actual song -- too much is missing and I don't have the experience yet to fill in the blanks.

Not really an easy song for beginners. First, there's a barre chord. More than that if you want, or depending on the version of TAB you find. Once you get around that, you've got to take an original recording that had drums, hand percussion, bass and some organ thing (not sure what they used) providing a huge portion of the music. Turning it into a one guitar arrangement may require going a little bit away from the studio strumming.

Then of course, good luck finding video on YouTube that is the same from one to the other. He plays it differently all the time.

I've taken this song's chords and added some, um, emphasis here and there. I apoligize for not being able to describe it in words and I don't have video equipment. A couple of things I do is that for each chord change, I play the first strum a touch longer than the rest, and the second strum a touch harder. Helps me get and project the feel of the song for me.
{t:LAY LADY LAY}
{st:Bob Dylan}

[G] [Bm] [F] [Am] [G] [Bm] [F] [Am]

[G]Lay, lady, [Bm]lay, [F]lay across my [Am]big brass bed[G][Bm][F][Am]
[D]Whatever colours you have [G]in your mind
[D]I'll show them to you [G]and you'll see them shine

Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile
Until the break of day, let me see you make him smile
His clothes are dirty but his hands are clean
And you're the best thing that he's ever seen
Stay, lady, stay, stay with your man awhile

[Bm]Why wait any longer for the [D]world to [G]begin
[Bm]You can have your cake and eat [Am]it [G]too
[Bm]Why wait any longer for the [D]one you [G]love
When he's stan[Bm]ding in front of [Am]you

Lay, lady, lay, lay across my big brass bed
Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead
I long to see you in the morning light
I long to reach for you in the night
Stay, lady, stay, stay while the night is still ahead

[G][Bm][F][Am][Bm][C][G]

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Roy

Thanks for the great song, one of my favorite Dylan songs! :D

I remember hearing years ago that this was his first recording after a very serious motorcycle accident he was in. A legend popped up about that accident. Some said his voice had changed. I used to compare this song with earlier recordings, he did sound a little different.

Here is an article about Dylan's mysterious accident.

http://www.americanheritage.com/email/articles/web/20060729-bob-dylan-motorcycle-woodstock-methamphetamine-robert-shelton-howard-sounes-ed-thaler.shtml

Thanks again, great song.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My thanks too, Roy - one of my fave Dylan songs also. Funny, but I've played literally dozens of Dylan songs (or tried to, anyway!) but for some reason never had a go at this one.....that omission will be rectified forthwith!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, he had quite the different voice going on for this song. It's pretty easy to not recognize it as Dylan just by listening to it. I think it was his only AM Gold entry too.

Me no like motorcycle wrecks. Good countryside to ride in though....at least it was 20 years ago.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

AFAIK he'd quitted smoking for a while before he recorded the song :roll: I think I heard him saying that in the No Direction Home documentary

Great song 8)
And - there is a very decent cover version of this from a norwegian band called Magnet.

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

some organ thing (not sure what they used) That was a Pedal Steel Guitar, Pete Drake was the performer.

Pete Drake played much better than what he did on that song, they must've told him to cut back some. Very simple steel for the time, but then again, I guess it fit well with Bob Dylan's style...

Edit - For the record, I like Duran's Duran's version better! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

Roy --

Thanks for the post. This will take me some time to master, especially the barre chords, but practice will make perfect.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote