Need some easy songs for Cinco de Mayo

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi gang,

My son (11 years old and taking lessons for 6+ months) is looking for some easy songs to play at his elementary school's Cinco de Mayo celebration this Friday. I suggested La Bamba, which seems easy enough for him. I also found this thread and it's a help, but looking for some other suggestions too: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17240&highlight=mariachi

Thanks,
--Scott

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Would "Tequila" be out of the question? OK how about "Cielito Lindo"? or "La Cookaracha" not sure if I spelled that right.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I'm guessing cinco de Mayo is 5th of May - I'm curious (being from England) as to what the celebration is for? From "mariachi" in the link, I'm guessing again it's something Mexixan or Mexican influenced?

I'm sure I've seen this question before as well - you might try "Cinco de Mayo" in the search....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'm guessing cinco de Mayo is 5th of May - I'm curious (being from England) as to what the celebration is for? From "mariachi" in the link, I'm guessing again it's something Mexican or Mexican influenced?

I'm sure I've seen this question before as well - you might try "Cinco de Mayo" in the search....

Vic

The Mexican equivalent of Bastille Day or our Fourth of July i.e. Independence day!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

art&lutherie, good additional suggestions. Tequila is a fun song and most kids recognize it.

Vic, I did all kinds of searches on GuitarNoise and only got the one good hit in my original post. Internet searches were getting too much junk, but I honed in and am now looking at some 'fiesta songs'. If I find anything good, I'll post a followup.

--Scott

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

This suggestion may be a little on the young side, but most of the younger students like things like The Mexican Hat Dance or La Cucaracha (and I know I've spelled that wrong! :wink: ) Just a thought. That means playing more melody than strumming, but they are very easy and recognizable.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@sobrelaguitarra)

I too think that Cucaracha would be a fun song to do. Maybe not too childish for an 11-year-old. I don't think I was introduced to it until the 4th grade myself.

And "Cinco de Mayo" is not like "Independence Day" in that it's not the day Mexico gained independence. The holiday actually commemorates an important war victory when an outnumbered Mexican army defeated the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. If you want to look up some more info for your son check out: http://www.fireworks.com/holidays/Cinco-de-mayo.asp

Please let us know if you come up with any other songs. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the info....

As a side-note, Status Quo used to do a version of the Mexican Hat Dance in the middle of Roadhouse Blues....but that was one of former bassist Alan Lancaster's lead vocals, and since he left the group after Live Aid they don't do it anymore....

I'm still intrigued - Cucaracha - what does it mean, and where can I find a sample?

And any recommendations as to Mariachi music to listen to? I like to expand my musical horizons....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

La Cucaracha means cockroach, and the lyrics are very childlike in form and sound but as my Spanish teacher told us very adult in meaning if you get my drift. She said the song is sort of meant to trick tiny ears. Don't know if she just has a dirty mind!!!
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Well here I am came to my music room to practice and now I'm off on a cockroach lyric hunt. Sorry Vic I thought I had a copy of the lyrics we were given in Spanish class, went through all my old assignments but couldn't find them and every web site seems to have different interpretations, verses etc,There must be five Bazillion of them. Off to practice now if I come up with the lyrics will post them
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LMAO - thanks for taking the time, Robbie! I had the same problem - lyric-wise - when trying to find the definitive version of St James Infirmary Blues....I came to the conclusion there isn't one....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote