Needles and Pins - Searchers

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is my favorite song by the Searchers (reportedly a favorite group of the Beatles in the early sixties). Sounds great on a 12-string guitar.

* First of all, don't be put off by the intro/recurring riff comprised of a series of A's and A sus'. Rather than using an open A chord there, I am using a "3-fingered" A chord in the 5th position; and the formation of the Asus2 and Asus4 is simply a matter of lifting an index or dropping down a pinky. It is easy to play, and the open e-string gives it that "jangly sound."

* The intro and recurring riff overlaps with a portion of the verse. So I have shown the placement of the intro/riff chords over the words rather than stating "repeat intro". This makes it appear a little "busy", but once you get the Intro/riff down it becomes automatic.

* I play an open A chord in the portions of the verse which are not part of the riff. This accentuates the different "voicing" of the A chord in the Intro/riff.

* The difficult part of the song is the result of a key change in the Bridge and Verse 3. I haven't figured out a capoed version that would eliminate these bar chords. I suppose one could skip the Bridge and repeat Verse 3 and the Coda in A. That may be okay for practice, but it doesn't do justice to the song. I am currently "fighting" to learn to play the C# Coda riff as an "A-shaped" bar chord, as indicated. Not an easy thing for my short stubby fingers, so if anyone has a suggestion please advise!!!

Here's a youtube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71tciw1iJvY Gotta love Needles and Pin-za!!!

Needles And Pins - Searchers
12-String

Intro: (5th Position: A A Asus2 A Asus2 | Asus4 A Asus2 A Asus2 A)

e|-----0---0-0---0-|-0---0---0-0-0-0-|
B|-----5---0-5---0-|-7---5---0-5-0-5-|
G|-6---6---6-6---6-|-6---6---6-6-6-6-| 2x
D|-7---7---7-7---7-|-7---7---7-7-7-7-|
A|-0---0---0-0---0-|-0---0---0-0-0-0-|
E|-----------------|-----------------|
^ (I saw her to-)
1st time only

Verse 1:

A
I saw her to-day, I saw her face
F#m
It was the face I loved, and I knew
A F#m
I had to run a-waaay... and get down on my knees and pra-aay

That they'd go away
A A Asus2 A Asus2 Asus4
But still they'd be-gin
A Asus2 A Asus2 F#m
Those need-les and pins
D
Because of all my pride
E
The tears I gotta hide

Verse 2:

E A
Hey, I thought I was smart, I'd won her heart
F#m
Didn't think I'd do, but now I see
A
She's worse to him than me, let her go ahead
F#m
Take his love in-stead, and one day she will see
A A Asus2 A Asus2 Asus4
Just how to say please
A Asus2 A Asus2 A F#m
And get down on her knees
D
Hey, that's how it be-gins
E
She'll feel those needles and pins, hurtin' her, hurtin' her

Bridge: (Bar chords)

E Eb D C#
C# B
Why can't I stop and tell myself I'm wrong, I'm wrong, so wrong
A G#
Why can't I stand up and tell myself I'm strong

Verse 3:

G# C#
Because I saw her to-day, I saw her face
Bbm
It was the face I loved, and I knew
C# Bbm
I had to run a-waaay and get down on my knees and pra-aay

That they'd go away
C# C# C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C#sus4 C#
But still they'd be-gin
C#sus2 C# C#sus2 Bbm
Need - les and pins
F#
Because of all my pride
G#
The tears I gotta hide

Coda: (C# C#sus2 C# C#sus2 | C#sus4 C# C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C#)

e|-----4---4-4---4-|-4---4---4-4-4-4-|
B|-----6---4-6---4-|-7---6---4-6-4-6-|
G|-----6---6-6---6-|-6---6---6-6-6-6-|
D|-----6---6-6---6-|-6---6---6-6-6-6-|
A|-----4---4-4---4-|-4---4---4-4-4-4-|
E|-----4---4-4---4-|-4---4---4-4-4-4-|

G# C# C# C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C#sus4 C#
Oh, needles and pins
C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C# C# C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C#sus4 C#
Need - les and pins
C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C# C# C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C#sus4 C#
Need - les and pins
C#sus2 C# C#sus2 C#

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just found this pretty good "Cheaters Version" of the song on youtube for those who wish to avoid the key change and resulting bar chords: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80vwto_5FQ

He plays a D - C - F - E progression in the Bridge and goes back to A in Verse 3 and the ending (although he uses an open A chord in the verse and riffs.)

In the verse, where the D chord is played he uses a quick D - Dsus2 - Dsus4 - D - Dsus2 - D progression which sounds pretty cool.

I still prefer the original version with the key change, but this certainly makes the song playable!

Shug.

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey thanks Shug.

Another great song from the Mersey Beat era. I'll enjoy having a go at this one, even though I don't have a 12 string and my bar chords are not that great. They are coming on though. Yes the Searchers were right up there at the forefront of those times 1963-1965, great group with a unique sound.

Great to see you back on the forum too Shug. You seem to love our British music. Are you a Brit living in Oaklahoma or pure bred American?

Best regards,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey thanks Shug.

Another great song from the Mersey Beat era. I'll enjoy having a go at this one, even though I don't have a 12 string and my bar chords are not that great. They are coming on though. Yes the Searchers were right up there at the forefront of those times 1963-1965, great group with a unique sound.

Great to see you back on the forum too Shug. You seem to love our British music. Are you a Brit living in Oaklahoma or pure bred American?

Best regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris. Nope, although I've visited England a few times (and love it), I'm a Yank in Southwest USA. I do love British music which I suppose is the product of my early teen years occuring during the British Invasion. I'm a Beatlemaniac first and foremost, but also love those 60's English groups such as The DC5 (which I don't think history has given them their proper due), Stones, Animals, Kinks, Spencer Davis Group, Who, Yardbirds, Gerry & the Pacemakers, Peter & Gordon, Moody Blues, etc., etc. Also love the American groups of the era such as the Beach Boys, Beau Brummels, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, etc. What an explosion of raw talent and I haven't even scratched the surface. I guess that's why I enjoy playing the "old pop songs", because they bring back such good memories. Glad there are others on this site who remember and enjoy as well!

Always enjoy your posts Chris!

Take care,
Shug (Doug)

ReplyQuote