Notifications
Clear all

New Guy Here

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@aaronfunk)
Topic starter  

Hello to all! I am pretty new to the guitar, I went out and bought a decent guitar and just finished my third lesson. My question is I have down all the Major Chords and am getting pretty quick moving between them, but why doesn't anyone think to put some easy songs together along with the strumming technique?

A D
Up Up Down Down U D D U

Something like that would be great for new people like me who want to learn a song.

(@bford)
Reputable Member

Hello aaronfunk,
Welcome to GN. The official door greeter is on break so I'll welcome you in first.
As far as strumming goes. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule regarding a strum pattern. The answer your most likely to get is that if it sounds good then go with it. Listen to the song you want to play and try to emulate it but following it strum for strum isn't going to alter the resulting sound that much.
Hope that helps.
Good luck

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Hey Aaronfunk! Welcome to GuitarNoise! You might want to poke around the "Easy Songs" forum. There are songs in there that contain strum patterns.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

That is a good point. Most beginners only think of strumming as straight forward down up down up.

Maybe ask on any song you want to learn what the strum is and if me or someone else knows it we will be glad to post it for you!

Good luck!

Welcome to GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Yes,

I see your point aaronfunk.

Quite a few others like me who have posted songs on this forum find that strumming the song right somehow just falls into place if you know the song. But, describing that pattern for others is not as easy.

I am currently trying to answer a strum pattern question for "Sylvia's Mother" which I posted here the other day. I can play it no problem because I know the song in my head but putting that strum pattern down for others so they can understand--- oh boy not easy!

I'll keep trying though.

And, welcome to the madhouse from me too aaronfunk

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi aronfunk

welcome aboard! If you search for the songs I posted I always suggested a pattern to play with (usually in term of beats). of course it is the pattern that I think is apt to the song but every song could be played with several different patterns so the patterns I posted should be taken as suggestions

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member

Welcome to the GN forums.

Unlike some of the traditionalists here I don't try to emulate the songs I learn by trying to do the right or correct strum patterns, (call me lazy). But I try to create my own sound by doing something completely different for example I might turn a Beatles song into a reggae song or alternatively I will slow a song down right down or speed it up. So in short I try to make the song my own.

Good luck with your playing and never give up when you get to those inevitable stumbling blocks. I and I'm sure everyone here still gets them.

Rod. :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote