Please Mister Postman - The Beatles

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok I'm back,

Was in Rodders car last night, he was driving us back from Mum's 80th birthday. He switched the radio on and there right on cue was this one. I said to Rodders "got to be easy, must be all D's & E's". He agreed and said its from that era.

Anyway tried to find a decent tab for it but could only come up this which I've edited quite a bit to get the lyrics tied in. The words in brackets are carried over the next lines by John. With George & Paul providing those lines. I've listened to it eight times in succession while editing it. Its quite brilliant the way they switched from lead singer to descant work. This is a classic Beatles rework cover of an R&B hit originally done by The Marvelettes which the lads made part of the original Mersey sound with Ringo's driving off beat drumming, without dishonouring the original.

I've played it but I'm not sure the F#m is right (Could be cause its a barre chord I'm getting the wrong sound) Otherwise it sounds great. Any help with better chord arrangements welcome!

The strum pattern? well if you put the song on (From the "With The Beatles" album track 7) you can't help yourself falling into the groove so to speak. This would be great for three or more players to try out the decanted lyrics. Anyway! here it is:

Intro:

(A)(Wait!) Oh yeah, wait a minute Mister Postman

(F#m)(Wait!) Waa--aa-aaaaa----ait Mister Postman

Chorus:

(A)Mister postman look and see (oh yeah)

(F#m)Is there a letter in your bag for me? (Please, please, Mister Postman)

(D)I've been waiting such a long time (Oh yeah)

(E)Since I heard from that girl of mine

Verse 1:

(A)There must be some word some day

(F#m)From my girlfriend so far away

(D)Please Mr. Postman look and see

(E)If there's a letter, a letter for me

Verse 2:

(A)I've been standing here waiting Mister Postman

(F#m)So – ooo -- o ooo so patiently

(D)For just a card or just a letter

(E)Saying she's returning home to me

Chorus:

(A)Please Mister Postman look and see (oh yeah)

(D)I've been waiting such a long time (oh yeah)

(E)Since I heard from that girlfriend of mine

Verse 3:

(A)So many days you pass me by

(F#m)You see the tear standing in my eye

(D)You didn't stop to make me feel better

(E)By leaving me a card or a letter

Chorus:

(A)Mister Postman look and see

(D)I've been waiting such a long time

(E)Since I heard from that girlfriend of mine

Outro:

(A)You gotta wait a minute, wait a minute (oh yeah)

(F#m)Wait a minute, wait a minute (Oh Yeah)

(D)You gotta Wait a minute, wait a minute (oh yeah)

(E)Check it and see one more time for me (You gotta)

(A)Wait a minute, wait a minute (oh yeah)

(F#m)Wait a minute, wait a minute (oh yeah)

(D)Mister Po-oo---ooo--stman, (Oh yeah)

(E)Deliver thee letter the sooner the better

(A)You gotta Wait a minute, wait a minute (oh yeah) repeat this line over and over and fade

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@rodders)
Noble Member

Yeah Chris, just tried, it you are spot on with that F#m well done nice little number :wink:
Just the thing while I'm awaiting delivery of a new tube amp (dont tell the missus) :roll:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Looks OK to me mate....thing is, I've had a real downer on this song since the 70's when the Carpenters covered it....I've never been able to listen to it since really.....

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Must - find - old beatles - albums......

:D :D :D

Vic

Oh yeah - your mum's 80, and brought two guitarists up - she must be pretty cool, to live with that racket - and you can tell her I said so!!! You rock, Mrs T!!!!

(But does she make you put the headphones on?) (LOL)

Love to your mum, and wish her a happy birthday from me....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the Birthday wishes for our Mum. I'll pass them on.

Cripes Vic! thirty years is a long time to have a downer over such a classic song. You've gotta get those old records out and get in touch with your soul again mate. And, you a Merseysider too. I agree though, the dreaded Carpenters did rather water it down and cover it with icing sugar. Not really their thing was it.

Anyway Vic, as it said on the sleeve notes to one of those other old Beatles EP's (Long Tall Sally, I think) play it to till you wear it out, or dip it in gold and pass it onto your grandchildren. God I do remember some rubbish! "Thanks Tony Barrow" Oops more useless trivia! H'mm must get that one out of the attic. Blast! no record player, oh well back to the CD's. It just ain't the same though.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@ladymadonna)

i really love this song
and yes after hearing the carpenters version, i was emotionally scarred too.
anyway, that f#m is really messing with me
does anyone have an alternate fingering or barre chord i can use instead?thank you guys
melissa :mrgreen:

~*While My guitar gently weeps*~

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

that f#m is really messing with me
does anyone have an alternate fingering or barre chord i can use instead?

I taught my son this song the other day, (he's 10), and he has trouble with the F#m barre chord: 244222, so he plays it like this: xx4222, and it sounds good. Try playing the A chord by just placing your index finger straight across the frets, (x02220), then just add your ring finger to the 4th string, (D string), 4th fret so you get: xxriii for the fingering. I sometimes play the F#m with almost the same fingering: trpiii, (244222). If you can't wrap your thumb around to grab the 1st string 2nd fret, just mute it & play x44222 fingered: xrpiii. Hope that helps.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ladymadonna)

thank you dan, it sounds much better
i have really small hands, so barre chords are really not good for me, and i am really not going to wait till im older to play guitar
your son plays guitar and hes ten? thats awesome, i wish him luck in his musical career :D
thanks again,
melissa

~*While My guitar gently weeps*~

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Your welcome Melissa. Glad I could help! :D My son read your comment, and says "Thanks, and good luck to you too!" 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

i really love this song
and yes after hearing the carpenters version, i was emotionally scarred too.
anyway, that f#m is really messing with me
does anyone have an alternate fingering or barre chord i can use instead?thank you guys
melissa :mrgreen:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this song is a favorite of mine.
The way to avoid that barre chord is by transposing down a whole step (G instead of A, C instead of D, D instead of E, Em instead of F#m). That way everything is open chords. For me this has the additional advantage of making it easier on my voice. That said, F#m is pretty much the easiest barre chord there is, so it wouldn't hurt to learn it...which you probably have in the time since you made that post and now.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

......and of course, doing it Jewtwmplar's way, using G/Em/C and D chords, all you need is a capo on the second fret and you're back in key!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 shug
(@shug)
Reputable Member

Thanks Chris. Glad this post was revived. Saw the video clip of this song again recently on the Anthology series. The lads do a hand clap during the intro before they start playing their instruments (which you can barely hear over the drums on the recording.) Kinda' cool. (ie. clap/clap . . . clap . . . clap/clap . . . clap) Even today, you can still see and feel the entusiasm and energy of their performance.

p.s. Vic, I won't even mention the Carpenter's version of Ticket to Ride!!

"Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast, to soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

ReplyQuote