Skip to content
simple version HOTE...

Notifications
Clear all

simple version HOTEL CALIFORNIA (Eagles)

71 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Intermediate solo maybe?

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hello yesterday I play alongside the recording and I found out an excellent pattern which fits the song really well. I play

beat 1: bb (two bass notes)
beat 2: Ddu (one octave and 2sixtheens notes)
beat 3: bb (two bass notes)
beat 4: Ddu (one octave and 2sixtheens notes)

and repeat the same for every chord

The two bass notes reminds me of the "dum, dum" sound which is clearly listenable at the beginning of each half measure, so after all I think it is very similar the drum rhythm of the song

Let me know what you think about it

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@mbroughton)
Eminent Member

On the "Outta Site" Lesson Links PlaneTalk has posted a link to his (very impressive) lesson site which this week contains a very beautiful picking chord progression to Hotel California; one which I think would work great as an intro to this song.

The link to the discussion is:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18201

ReplyQuote
(@gazzariff)

Thanks Matt, I'm into the Eagles stuff and being a newbie, till I get those barre chords licked this version is the biz. the wife is impressed! Have you got anymore easy versions.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Gazzariff

No more Eagles I am afraid. But if you also like Dylan have a look at the Hard Rain's Gonna Fall thread on here. Its not hard with practice.

Cheers

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@zajeb)

i realy don't know i always played the version bull has posted and that was 1 of the first song i learned (week after i started) and with my gr8 expirience of 3 months :D i can say it is easy and the struming pattern is i think DDUDUUD and when you get the ritam it is easy :D

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wow, just looked, 5300+ views of this thread....never thought this little old song would stir up so much interest.

Is it some kind of record for this site? Just interested.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

I've browsed this thread and did not see this but there is a way to play this song with the Capo at the 5th fret.

If it has not been mentioned I will post it tonight when I get home and can sit with mygit-fiddle. (about 2-3 hours).

I love this song and all the versions listed so far are out of sight!!!! :P

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

OK.

Here it is. Sorry for the delay. Also I made a mistake, :oops: the capo needs to be on the 7th fret not the 5th :shock:

The chords are closer to what Bull posted.

Place Capo on 7th fret.

These are the chord voicings. ( the 7 listed would be considered an open string becuase of the capo ) The chords listed in () represent the "open" chord voicing played in a standard tuningat 1st position.

Bm (Em) F#7(B7) A sus 2 (D sus 2) E9/G#(A9/C#) G (C)
E--7-------------9-----------7---------------------7-------------------7--
B--7-------------7-----------10------------------- 7-------------------8--
G--7-------------9-----------9---------------------7-------------------7--
D--9-------------8-----------7---------------------9-------------------9-
A--9-------------9-----------X---------------------11------------------10
E--7-------------X-----------X-------------------- X-------------------X-

D (G) Em7 (Am7) F#+5(B+5) F7b9(Bb7b9)
E--10---------------7------------------X-------------------8-----------
B--7----------------8------------------7-------------------7-----------
G--7----------------7------------------7-------------------8-----------
D--7----------------9------------------8-------------------7-----------
A--9----------------7------------------9-------------------8-----------
E--10---------------X------------------X------------------X-----------

Pattern.
Intro Verse
Bm
F#7
A(sus2)
E9/G#
G
D
Em7
F#7

Chorus
G
D
F#7
Bm
G
D
Em7
F#7 (3 beats) F#+5

Repeat the patterns until you get to the "check out anytime you like but you may never leave" Play this chord to intro the Solo F7b9(really theonly time this one is played)

Hope it comes out correct and you are able to "read" it OK

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

what I really like of this song is that there are so many ways to play it and it will sound good. It is a perfect song to start to subistute some open chords with barre one i.e. playing A chord and G chord with E-shape barre on 5th and 3rd fret respectively, or I also changed the fingering of Em chord (using pinky and middle finger instead of middle and index) to be able to make a smoother transition to F#m one. I also play it whenever I try to learn some new strummin pattern (my other choiche is U2's One)

Matteo

p.s. by the way it was one of the very first song that I learnt to play in its entirity

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

p.s. by the way it was one of the very first song that I learnt to play in its entirity

Matteo

Sort of off topic but I it gave me a chuckle.

The first song I learned in it's entirity both chords and lead/melody was "twinkle twinkle little star" :lol:

Now that is an easy one.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy_kwtx)
Estimable Member

Intermediate solo maybe?

I could "tab" it out in 4-12 bar breakdowns and post each one 1 per week. I play it based upon the way I play the song but ince it is a "blues box" type pattern it tis based of of it canbe moved around very easily.

This would not fit in this thread since it moving beyond the beginner stage but I would be more than happy to start a new thread elswhere (please direct me) and offer it up for any that want to see it. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Thank you for this - spent last night playing it - really good.

However I have problems with :-

(Dm) Such a lovely place, Such a (Am)lovely face,

The Am sounds wrong to me, I tried Em and it sounded better...

Yea that bothered me too! I think your right Em instead of Am (well, after Dm - the other Am fits).

However, whoever (Mattguitar?) posted it originally thanks! I got in a couple of days!

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@troubadour)

Hi all, from a new member.

In mattguitar's capo 2 version (start of post), maybe my understanding of theory isn't too good but my guess is the 2nd line should be Em, to give an 'uncapoed' F#m?

...well it's one way to get myself known...

(Off topic I know but I'm like most people, Hotel C is my first bar chord song as well, from about 5 ish years back)

ReplyQuote
(@nickgolledge)

Hi

Am also new on here, have introduced myself on the meet and greet thread.

This is the first thread I've looked through, because I think this is a great song and I wanted to play it. Thanks to Matt for the original post, and Vic for the help with barre chords, I tried it last night and it sounded great! I still need practice with switching from open chords to barre chords but I'll work on that!

I also tried playing it with a mix of full chords and arpeggio picking notes from each chord. Sounded okay but I think I need much more practice doing this, it seems much harder to get the timing of chord changes right while playing arpeggio.

Anyway, thanks again for putting this tab up guys!

Nick

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5