Slade - Merry Xmas Ev'rybody

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Merry Xmas Ev'rybody - Slade

(Please note, this is slightly different to the original....this is the pub version, and I can't simplify it any further....)

There were loads of great Xmas songs about in the 70's - this was the best of them all, the ultimate Xmas party sing-along song....

Slade were a very under-rated band, Dave Hill - despite the worst rock'n'roll haircut of all time was a good lead guitarist, Jimmy Lea was a fine bassman - doubled on violin as well - Don Powell could beat the hell out of those skins, and as for old leatherlungs himself, well if anyone's got a more powerful voice than Noddy, I've yet to hear it....I loved 'em in the 70's, and I still love 'em to bits....

One thing to be aware of, there's a different voicing of the D chord used in the little riff at he end of the first and second lines of every verse....
I'll call it D*, play it like this....and also a Dsus2

D* Dsus2
E A D G B E E A D G B E
2 0 0 2 3 5 2 0 0 2 3 0

Using your pinky for the stretch up to the fifth fret...the F# bass note is optional, mute it if you don't need it....

Intro....

G/D/Em/D/Bm/D

Verse One....

Are you (G)hanging (Em)up your G)stocking (Em)on your (D)wall,(Dsus4)(D)(D*)
It's the (G)time that (Em) every (G)Santa (Em)has a (D)ball,(Dsus4)(D)(D*)
(D)Does he (C)ride a red-nosed (G)reindeer,
Does a (C)ton upon his (G)sleigh,
Will the (Am)fairies keep him (C)sober for a (D)day,(Dsus4)(D)

Chorus....

(D)So (Dsus2)here (D)it (G)is, merry (Bm)Christmas, every(Bb)body's having (D)fun,
(G)Look to the (Bm)future now, it's (Bb)only just beg(D)un,

Verse Two - chord pattern same as first verse....

Are you waiting for the family to arrive,
Are you sure you got the room to spare inside,
Does your granny always tell you,
That the old songs are the best,
Then she's up and rock'n'rolling with the rest,

Repeat chorus.....

Bridge.....

(Dm)What will your daddy (Bb)do, when he sees your (Dm)mama kissing (Bb)Santa Claus, a-(C)ha, (D)ha....

Verse Three...

Are you hanging up your stocking on the wall,
Are you hoping that the snow will start to fall,
Do you ride on down the hillside,
In a buggy you have made,
When you land upon your head then you've been sleighed (NB Bad pun alert - sleighed - Slade....groan)

Repeat chorus at least three times....
Get granny up dancing.....
Then have a stiff drink, before someone asks you to play White Xmas.....

Enjoy this one, I dig it out every Xmas.....and I never get tired of it.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Great stuff Vic,

I am reading this at work while drinking the first brew of the day. I must be getting to be a better guitarist as I'm picturing the chord changes in my head while reading this and humming it.

Yeah I loved Slade too. My favourite of their's was "Mama We're All Crazy Now".

I remember Rodders did a very good lookalike of Dave Hill as he once had a bad haircut where the fringe was cut very high and the sides very long.

Anyway must try it out tonight. Thanks again for this one mate,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote