Skip to content
Strumming Pattern f...

Notifications
Clear all

Strumming Pattern for Thank You by Dido.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey to everyone,

New to this site and it really is the greatest thing on the net.

I am looking for a strumming pattern for the Dido's song "Thank You".

I can't figure it out from the CD, but I've also heard that she fingerpicks it on the mLive interview. Now I am really confused as too which patterns to use.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kenny

(@tabmow)
Eminent Member

Hi Kenny, welcome aboard.

If you look in 'certain places', you'll find a couple acoustic versions (just her & her guitar) of the song that she did at radio stations.  She sort-of finger picks the first couple of lines, then breaks into regular strumming the rest of the way.  

I'm not sure i would classify this as an "Easy Song for Beginners" because of the Bm7 chord.  You probably meant to post this in the "Beginner" forum.   I can't explain the strumming pattern very well (i'm a beginner myself), but i just got a brand new acoustic-electric yesterday, so I recorded how i play it.  I just did the first verse, one slow version, and one fast version.  (it might help only if you can't find Dido's acoustic version).   One neat thing someone showed me is to pick the top E string on the G & Gadd2/F# chords in the verse, then quickly do a DU, then back to the regular strumming.  Here's what i mean:

Em       Cmaj7   D    (G        Gadd2/F#)
reg       reg           reg   E/DU  E/DU

where E/DU means just hit the bottom E string once, then quickly do a down-up strum, repeat on the next chord, and then go back to the regular strum with the next Em.
I hope that makes some sense.

If you listen to this, here's what i'm talking about:

http://www.wombat.ca/guitar/dido/

Hope that helps somewhat.

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Tabmow,

Thanks for the tips, I will give this a try. Thanks for posting your recordings. As always any help is great.

As for the song being more advanced, I agree, but since my daughter and wife love this song, it's one I am determined to learn.

I find that most tabs never supply a picking or strumming pattern. Some songs are easy to figure out, but some are just plain mysteries.

Thanks for the help, Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@dshow)

Hey Klim

I don't know if this is allowed here but it could help you.
I have found something for you in the total guitar magazine.
Check it out

If this is prohibited please notify me  ;D

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey DShow,

Thanks very much, I am not sure if this is allowed either. But that's for the moderators to decide and let us know, but in the mean time this is most welcomed.

Kenny

ReplyQuote