Clear all

Strumming Patterns I.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@steelstring)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi there Buddies, i hope this is the right Section to post this ..

I need the Strumming Patterns for 3 Songs, which id like to learn - because my Ears are crap so i cant find it out by myself although i tried it:

.) Bed of Roses (Bon Jovi)

.) Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm (Crash Test Dummies)

.) In the Ghetto (The King)

If anyone knows - please Help ;-)

Thanks in Advance,

Steelstring

And were an epitaph be my story,
I'd have a short one ready for my own,
I would have written on me on my stone:
I had a Lover's Quarrel with the world.

(Robert Lee Frost)

(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I need the Strumming Patterns for 3 Songs, which id like to learn - because my Ears are crap so i cant find it out by myself although i tried it:

Thanks in Advance,

Steelstring
Hi mate

i don't remember exactly Bed of roses (it has been almost ten years since I last listend to it) but it's a classic power-ballad of the 80's so it should be based on sixteen notes

Assuming that you know the exact chord changes, try to start the following pattern

DD/ddu/Dd/ddu

which is quite easy and works well with all slow numbers (each beat is divided by a slash). You can also subsititute the first beat DD with a single downstrum but I've always found a lot simpler to start with the double downstrum.

Tip: the first three downstrum are all equal (eight notes), only the du mopvement is faster (two sixteen notes). It is very helpful to accent the third downstrum so you kow that your right hand should go faster for the du movement. By the way it is the same pattern as if you play 1,2,3, 4 and...with the only difference that you're playing sixteen notes instead of eight ones

When you feel confident with it you could try some more complex ones like

DD/ddu/ud/ddu

or

D/d...u/ud/dudu

which invole sixteen notes syncopation

Otherwise if you're still not able to play sixteen notes you could play alternatively with the following eight notes patterns:

D/du/D/du

d/du/u/du

slower but still works

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Thanks in Advance,

Steelstring
Hi mate

i don't remember exactly Bed of roses (it has been almost ten years since I last listend to it) but it's a classic power-ballad of the 80's so it should be based on sixteen notes

Assuming that you know the exact chord changes, try to start the following pattern

DD/ddu/Dd/ddu

which is quite easy and works well with all slow numbers (each beat is divided by a slash). You can also subsititute the first beat DD with a single downstrum but I've always found a lot simpler to start with the double downstrum.

Tip: the first three downstrum are all equal (eight notes), only the du mopvement is faster (two sixteen notes). It is very helpful to accent the third downstrum so you kow that your right hand should go faster for the du movement. By the way it is the same pattern as if you play 1,2,3, 4 and...with the only difference that you're playing sixteen notes instead of eight ones

When you feel confident with it you could try some more complex ones like

DD/ddu/ud/ddu

or

D/d...u/ud/dudu

which invole sixteen notes syncopation

Otherwise if you're still not able to play sixteen notes you could play alternatively with the following eight notes patterns:

D/du/D/du

d/du/u/du

slower but still works

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

Matteo:

Does the capital "D" mean extra emphasis on the strum?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

Matteo:

Does the capital "D" mean extra emphasis on the strum?

Thanks

no it does not have any particular meaning :D . What is important is the number of strums for each mate

If I write

du

this means two eight notes strums (downstrum, followed by an upstrum)

with sixteen notes, please notice that if you play all the strum it wuld be dudu for each beat, so
if I write

ddu

it means eight donwstrum followed by two sixteens down and up

d...u means sixteen note downstru, miss an upstrum and a downstrum and finally play a sixteen note upstrum

Cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote