Summer Holiday - Cliff Richard & The Shadows

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lot of activity on the ESD tonight, long may it go on

This is a classic of early sixties pop here in the UK. As I said in my post of "The Young Ones" this was all we had that was home grown rock and roll until the Fab Four hit the scene. It has some nostalga for me as I taken by my mum to see the film of the same name at our local flea pit. It was about the third time I'd been to the pictures (er movies for our US friends) and I was about nine at the time. Rodders came too I think.

The Shadows were great to watch, immaculate suits, precision dance steps and those Strats. Hank Marvin was never rash in his playing and his lead licks were always clean and restrained. Brian Bennett the drummer, talented, but very much from the big band mould and again very restrained. Our generation's parents loved em. The only hint of what was to come was Jet Harris the bass player's moody looks.

Anyway here it is dead easy. Perfect chord patterns, lyrics that are very much "Moon in June ie: near perfect ryhmes. Very clean cut and sugary but great anyway. Eh it takes you back don't it!

Have fun.

Intro:

(A)/// (D)// (G)/// (C)//

Verse1:

(C)We're all (A)going on a (D)summer (G)Holiday

(C)No more (A)working for a (D)week or (G)two

(C)Fun and (A)laughter on our (D)summer (G)holiday

(D)No more (G)worries for (C)me or (A)you

(D)For a (G)week or (C)two

Chorus:

(C)We're (D)going where the (G)sun shines (C)brightly

(C)We're (D)going where the (G)sea is (C)blue

(C) We've (E)seen it in the movies (D)now

(D)Lets see if it's (G)true (G7)

Verse 2:

(C)Every (A)body has a (D)summer (G)holiday

(C)Doin' (A)things they always (D)wanted (G)to

(C)So we're (A)going on a (D)summer (G)holiday

(D)To make our (G)dreams come (C)tru-u-(A)ue

(D)For (G)me and (C)you

Outro:

(A)mm (D)mm------(G)mm (C)mm

(A)mm (D)mm------(G)mm (C)mm

(A)/// (D)// (G)/// (C)// and fade out

Please forgive me :wink: :wink:
go on play it you know you'll love it.!

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I learned this one this way....

C/Am/F/G for the verses......

F, G and C for the chorus, with an Em chucked in as you get to the "we've seen it in the movies" bit.....

When my yougest was about 6, she loved "Summer Holiday" "The Young Ones" and "Grease"....unfortunately, she's never grown out of Grease....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

BTW, my daughter's birthday ia Oct 12th....shares it with Pavarotti, and Rick Parfitt of Status Quo....our ex-next door neighbour's daughter, Kayleigh's best pal for about 5 years, was born Oct 14th.....

Thank the lord Kayleigh wasn't a day later, or Sonia a day early....they'd have shared a birthday with Maggie Thatcher......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The Greybeard Repository of Useless Information unreliably inform me that Oct. 14 is Cliff Richard's birthday.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote