Skip to content
Tabs for Earth? ( N...

Notifications
Clear all

Tabs for Earth? ( NIRVANA FANS Alert!!!)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
 Zeus
(@zeus)
Topic starter  

Hello!

This will be a bit of a long read and many will be put off by this.
However, if you are new to Nirvana or wish to check out a new cool band, then you might want to read on. It isn't as long as the post appears to be.

I having am trouble figuring out how to play the following songs from the band Earth:

1.Tallahasse

2.High Command

3.Coda Maestoso in F(flat) Minor

I guess anyone who is a hardcore Nirvana fan or/and has seen the documentary Kurt and Courtney, will automatically know what band I am talking about.

For those who do not know, Dylan Carlson is the driving force behind the band and at times, has been it sole member. Needless to say Earth is his baby.
His 'claim to fame' is that he was Kurt Cobains best friend.
The infamous shotgun with which Kurt committed suicide, was purchased by Dylan Carslon. He also was Kurt and Courtney's drug dealer at times.

Kurt Cobain also recorded a short song with Earth called 'Divine and Bright', in which he plays guitar and (I think) sings the main vocals.
It is available on the 'Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars' album which is out of print but the song is available for download if you search Soulseek.

Any Nirvana fan who has not heard this song yet should DEFINITELY check it out. It is rare plus it was recorded prior to Nirvana working on Nevermind, if I am not mistaken.

The band has a cult following and is very influential but as is often the case, they are completely unknown.

This is probably is one of the reason why you CANNOT find ONE tab from any of the Earth albums on the net.

I really think that is a shame because some of the riffs from the album 'Pentastar: In the Style of Demons' and 'Phase 3: Thrones and Dominions' are simply AWESOME.

There are numerous reasons why I think these songs belong in the Easy Song Forum.

They are repetetive, easy to play and simply some of the coolest sounding riffs you will ever hear.

I often try to play some of the riffs to warm up.

Seeing as 95% of Earth's songs are instrumental they are IDEAL for jamming with a drummer, especially if you are a beginner.
The simplicity of the songs allow you some headspace and cut you some slack when practicing playing in time with a drummer.

I found playing some Earth riffs to help build my confidence when I was starting out.

And again, the riffs are simply coooooooool. I cannot stress that enough.

Dylan has a great feel for making a guitar sound earthy, raw and pure.
I would go as far as to say the the album 'Pentastar' contain the best sounding 'grunge' related riffs ever.

People who are into distorted guitars will LOVE this. Fans of the Melvins will also be interested. Great for people who are trying to 'get to know' their amps and like twiddling.

The riffs seem to blend the styles of 70's rock, southern rock, metal and punk perfectly, in both sound and attitude.

Again for a beginner the songs are a great introduction to various styles of riffage that is easy to play yet fuse other genres seamlessly together. This isn't often the case when learning Easy Songs.
Many songs beginners learn tend to focus on one style of music like folk or blues. I think the key songs on Pentastar often manage to bridge that.
So regardless of whether you are into grunge, heavy metal or southern rock, there is something for everyone.

After one has the songs down, they leave ALOT of room for simple yet really effective improvisation.
'Tallahassee' has sinister sounding blues fills which can be varied improving ones improvisational skills.

Despite all these great things, I cannot for the life of me seem to get my head around some of the riffs despite their apparent simplicity.

Maybe it is because I cannot get the tuning right or maybe I am trying too hard but one of my ultimate goals in life (as sad as this may sound), is to get the song Tallahassee RIGHT.
Same goes for most of those mentioned above.

So if anyone who knows how to play guitar can help me (and others) that will be swell! :D

If you don't know the songs or simply want to download them and check Earth out, I advise searching for them on Soulseek. If you are lucky you should find them.

Even if no ones replies to this post, then at least some of you might get into a band that is very cool and could use some more fans.
They are as underground as a band of it status can get so if new fans get into Earth that alone is good enough.
The album 'Pentastar' is very accesible and is a great for driving your car to especially if you own a Barracuda...he he he.

'Pentastar' ALSO has a cover of an extremely rare Jimi Hendrix song called 'Peace in Mississippi', from the unofficial album Voodoo Soup which is out of print, released after Jimi's death.

People who are starting off with guitar playing will have a good time playing and jamming to Earth and songs like 'Talahassee' and 'High Command' make a more then worthy addition to the Easy Song Database.

PLUS they are breath of freash air to the 'standard' Easy Songs beginners usually learn especially people into heavy metal or grunge.

If anyone can post the tabs on this forum or have a link to a tab post, then that will much appreciated. The song 'Tallahassee' is my main interest.

The songs are listed below.

Band: Earth

Album: Pentastar

Songs: Tallahasse
High Command
Coda Maestoso In F(flat) Minor

Well good luck and hopeful when (gulp...IF) someone replies to this or makes a tab post, it will help many with their guitar playing.

Laters

Mike