Notifications
Clear all

"The Weight" - The Band

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

This looks great. How do you form a D/F# chord though?

As you suggested in the answer to your own question, you play a regular D while fretting the second fret of the low E - to which I would add that you can fret the low E with your thumb by wrapping it over the neck.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

I have always played this:

A C#m D
I pulled into nazareth, I was feelin' bout half past dead

etc....

Chorus
A A/G# D
Take a load off Annie/Fannie?

My question is... what key is this in? E? ...or am I figuring that out wrong? which is probably the case :?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

A C#m D

etc....

Chorus
A A/G# D

My question is... what key is this in? E? ...or am I figuring that out wrong? which is probably the case :?
Looks like A to me from those chords.

Assuming every chord is in the key, with A and D as major chords we're looking at A (A, D and E are major) or D (D, G and A as major). C#m is in A (although C#dim is in D and substituting a minor for the diminished is common enough for it not to be a big problem), and the G# used as bass note is also in the A major scale, but not in D.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

It's kinda funny, I've been a big fan of the Band for many years, and I knew that the Nazareth line was refering to Nazareth Penn. and whenever I told anyone that they just looked at me kinda funny until I explained the connection to Martin Guitars, it just goes to show you how a song can mean one thing to the writer and someting else to the listener...I like it when a song is like that.

It makes me understand Dylan and some of the other song writers not really wanting to explain what a song means cos the meaning may change depending on who is listening, they prob dig than, I know I would.

BTW if anyone reading this hasn't seen The Last Waltz I highly recommend you get the DVD, preferably the 25 anniversary edition, great concert, I really like the part where Robbie Robertson and Eric Claption get into the little guitar duel :)

Rick Danko singing It Makes No Difference in this concert is just a mornful performance and another high spot.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member

A C#m D

etc....

Chorus
A A/G# D

Looks like A to me from those chords.

Assuming every chord is in the key, with A and D as major chords we're looking at A (A, D and E are major) or D (D, G and A as major). C#m is in A (although C#dim is in D and substituting a minor for the diminished is common enough for it not to be a big problem), and the G# used as bass note is also in the A major scale, but not in D.
Thanks! I knew I was missing something. Now can you explain why this is also A? ... please :D
THE WEIGHT - The Band (Robbie Robertson)(Capo 2nd fret / Key of A)

VERSE 1: (As throughout the song, play the C as C/G = 3 3 2 0 1 0)

G Bm C G
I PULLED INTO NAZARETH, WAS FEELING ‘BOUT HALF PAST DEAD.

ReplyQuote
(@anthonys53)

This is a greatsong! Thank you!

Can anyone tell me how to copy/paste so that evrything lines up? I select everything icluding "code" but nothing ever lines up.

Thanks for the help!

Anthonys

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Make sure your Font is set to "Courier" This font has all the letters of the alphabet taking the same spacing. The program I use to cut and paste is Notepad but I am sure that all programs have Courier Font as an option.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@anthonys53)

Hey Robble!

Thanks a lot! That worked just fine. Happy Holidats!

Anthonys

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

BTW if anyone reading this hasn't seen The Last Waltz I highly recommend you get the DVD, preferably the 25 anniversary edition, great concert, I really like the part where Robbie Robertson and Eric Claption get into the little guitar duel :)

EC dropping his guitar and Robbie jumping in on the fly - classic - yes get it!!!

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2