Clear all

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK, I've finally put together a version of Werewolves of London I can play with the recording. This song is just fun and kooky. This is far from perfect, but it didn't sound horrible. If anyone wants to improve upon it or tell me how bad I did, have at it. :oops: But I'm kind of excited I got this far. :)

WEREWOLVES OF LONDON – WARREN ZEVON

Chords: D C G

D and C with a barre A type (root 5) chord at the 5th and 3rd frets, and the G chord with a barre E type (root 6) at the 3rd fret.

Or open chords. I've been practicing the barre chords but I can actually play this with open chords.

Strumming pattern:

D C G
D U - D U - D U D U Riff* (play intro 4x)

Oh, the - is a rest. If you listen to the recording, you can get the tempo. Real easy.

*Riff
--------------------------|
-------5------------------|
---3----------------------|

Then the rhythm is just the D C G + riff ad infinitum (or ad nauseum :lol: ). I didn't include the solo, because... well... I can't do it.

D--------------C---------------------G------------------*riff
I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for the place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get a big dish of beef chow mein
Ah hoo! Werewolves of London Ah hoo!

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door
Better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again

(solo would be here)

He's the hairy handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen
Doing the werewolves of London
I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen
Doing the werewolves of London
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
Ah hoo! Werewolves of London Draw blood Ah hoo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhSc8qVMjKM

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, we had a chat about this song in a different thread a short while ago; "Those crazy barre chords" in Beginners Q&A, I think it was. I mentioned that there's an easier way to play the song using powerchords.....
E |---------------------------------------|
B |---------------------------------------|
G |---------------------------------------|
D |--------------12-12-14-12--------------|
A |-14-12--12-10-10-10-10-10-10-------10--|
E |-10-10--10--8----------------10h12-----|

D6 D5 D5 C5 G5 G5 G6 G5

That's the rhythm guitar riff for the entire song, repeated ad infinitum.

Now the last couple of weeks, I've been a bit busy on the job-hunting front, not to mention various other distractions, but I've been thinking about this song further - especially after seeing the video. I always liked the solo, but I thought it was done with a slide - doesn't look like the guy on the video's using one. So I looked for another video and found this one....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7uV9xIzzcHg

Watch the solo on this one from about 1:45 - you'll see this time the soloist IS using a slide, which set a light bulb off - BING!.....open tuning. Now the song's in D, so it'd follow that the open tuning he's using is open D - it doesn't have to be, but it makes sense in this case.

So I tuned to open D to try it....DADF#AD.
D |----------------------------------|
A |----------------------------------|
F#|----------------------------------|
D |-----------------------5-----5----|
A |-14-12--12-10--5-5-7-5---5h7------|
D |-12-12--12-10--7-7-7-7------------|

Pretty easy, huh? Even if it's not at first, it will be with a little practise. Then I got to thinking again - if you're not playing the solo, just playing the rhythm guitar, why open D? You're only using three strings....so all you need to do is tune the bottom E string to D. That's "Drop D" tuning, for the benefit of those who might not already know - DADGBE. And now you don't have to tune to open D and tune back again when you've finished!

In drop D it'd look like this....
E |----------------------------------|
B |----------------------------------|
G |----------------------------------|
D |-----------------------5-----5----|
A |-14-12--12-10--5-5-7-5---5h7------|
D |-12-12--12-10--7-7-7-7------------|

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Vic. :)
OK, we had a chat about this song in a different thread a short while ago; "Those crazy barre chords" in Beginners Q&A, I think it was. I mentioned that there's an easier way to play the song using powerchords.....

Yeah, that was me who started the thread. It was on this very song.

I've since settled on using open chords, and for the little riff, I just use a quick du with the open G. The problem I have with the power chords is the reach. I just can't get a 4 fret stretch yet. Curse these Hobbit fingers! :( But in Drop D it looks like I can do it. Note to self: must try. I have to check out the videos too. I love watching different versions and covers of a song.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I just can't get a 4 fret stretch yet.

That's why I thought it might be easier in open- or drop-D! In the original thread, I'm sorry I took it for granted that everyone can do that blues shuffle....never had any problems with it myself, but then I do have very long slim fingers. I have to keep reminding myself from time to time that not everyone's so lucky!

This'll give you an idea of just how long they are....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cantankerousd)
Eminent Member

Not so much about this song, but about Mr. Zevon. I was watching this post, (mainly cuz I am a big zevon fan and always keep an eye out for easy ways to play any of his tunes) and clicked on over to the youtube videos. long story short, does anyone have any idea what chords he is playing in the lawyers guns and money video (solo just him and his axe)? I have always played it as; D-A-E . but his version sounded so much better, of course it might just be the twelve string. thanks in advance for any responses. y'all rock!

You don't have to firebomb dresden to prove you can fly a plane.-Warren Zevon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Not so much about this song, but about Mr. Zevon. I was watching this post, (mainly cuz I am a big zevon fan and always keep an eye out for easy ways to play any of his tunes) and clicked on over to the youtube videos. long story short, does anyone have any idea what chords he is playing in the lawyers guns and money video (solo just him and his axe)? I have always played it as; D-A-E . but his version sounded so much better, of course it might just be the twelve string. thanks in advance for any responses. y'all rock!

Haven't got the original, so I don't know what key it's in....but if you watch this youtube version - Lawyers Guns & Money - he's using C G and D chords for the intro. Possibly his voice had grown deeper over the 15-16 years between the original recording and the youtube version?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Just as matter of interest,

Has anybody noticed the riff from this song forms the intro to"All Summer Long" by Kid Rock which as we know is basically "Sweet Home Alabama". Never ceases to amaze me how you can make hits by borrowing old hits to do it.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just as matter of interest,

Has anybody noticed the riff from this song forms the intro to"All Summer Long" by Kid Rock which as we know is basically "Sweet Home Alabama". Never ceases to amaze me how you can make hits by borrowing old hits to do it.

Chris

Did anyone NOT notice? I just hope WZ - or rather, his estate - got a writer's credit!

Vic

ReplyQuote