Clear all

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet- Bachman Turner Overdrive

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Here is a great song that is a lot of fun to play. It has a few unusual chord forms, but they are not difficult.

Here is the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

A little history behind this song, I heard a radio interview with Randy Bachman who is singing this song. The interviewer asked Randy about his stuttering on this song. Randy said that his older brother stuttered. His brother had promised to come to California with him from Canada, but changed his mind. This made Randy angry so he wrote this song to make fun of his brother. He knew his brother and family would know exactly this is what he was doing in the song. Randy had no idea it would be a big hit. :D

This song starts with a repeating A, G, D chord riff that you play during the verse. The A and G chords are played with a "barre C" type chord. You can play this with regular chords, but it will not really capture the true voicings used. Look at the 2nd guitarist in the video and he is playing these higher inversions of these chords.

Anyway, enough of all that, I have written these chords in the order they are used. You will see three different A chords, just listen and you will know which inversion to use. Don't worry though, the song is pretty easy.

Chords used in verses (in order of use)

A G D F/D G/D A C#m F#m Bm D
e--9i---7----5----5----7----5----4----2----7----10--
b-10m---8----7----6----8----5----5----2----7----10--
g--9i---7----7----5----7----6----6----2----7----11--
d-11r---9----7----0----0----7----6----4----9----12--
a-12p--10----5--------------7----4----4----9----12--
e--9i---7-------------------5---------2----7----10--

Chords used in chorus (in order)
A E D (descending bass line at end only)
e--0----0----2------------------
b--2----0----3------------------
g--2----1----2------------------
d--2----2----0------------------
a--0----2--------------4--2-----
e-------0--------------------0--

Here are the lyrics:

Intro: A, G, D chord riff

(Riff)I met a devil woman,
She took my heart away,
She said, I had it comin' to me,
But I wanted it that way.
(D)I think that any love is good lovin', (F/D- G/D)and
So I (A)took what I could (C#m)get (F#m)mmh,
Oooh, oooh she (Bm)looked at me with big brown (D)eyes
And said:

You (A)ain't seen nothin' yet, (E-D)
B-B-B-Baby, you just (A)ain't seen nothin' yet, (E-D)
Here's something that you (A)never gonna forget, (E-D)
B-B-B-Baby, you just (A)ain't seen nothin' yet. (E-D desc. bass line)

A, G, D repeating chord riff

(Riff)And now I'm feelin' better,
'Cause I found out for sure.
She took me to her doctor
And he told me of a cure.
(D)He said that any love is good love (F/D- G/D)
And said:

A, G, D chord riff with guitar solo (8 times)

(D)Any love is good love (F/D- G/D)
And said:

End- two guitars, one playing A, E, D chorus chord riff over and over, the second guitar playing solo...

Fade out

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I love that song. It's now in my songbook to learn and play. :D

Thanks for posting it.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

This is one of those songs I wanted to play years and years ago - never did quite get it to sound right. Now I know why - I didn't have the right chord voicings! Got to try this one later - thanks once again, Wes! I know you're a big admirer of Randy Bachmans - you've mentioned it a few times before. I've often wondered when you'd get round to tabbing this one out.

It was their biggest hit over here, and their only top 10 single - they were never as big in the UK as they were in the US. I remember buying this, and their follow up - "Roll On Down The Highway." I've probably still got those old 45's somewhere - must dig 'em out. One of the B-sides was a song called "Sledgehammer" - not sure which A-side, though. I remember playing that a lot - thought it was a brilliant riff.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, glad you like the song. :D

Vic, yeah, I have been a big fan of Randy Bachman since his days as lead guitarist for the Guess Who and then with Bachman Turner Overdrive. Don't know if you are familiar with this, but the drummer Robbie is Randy's brother, and later his brother Tim replaced Chad Allen as 2nd guitarist. Fred Turner played bass and did most of the singing. Turner is probably the one you are most familiar with as singer.

As for the chord voicings I showed, they are not entirely correct. There are several guitars on this particular song, one is playing the chord voicings very high on the fingerboard. That is the guitar voicing you couldn't quite get. But for instance, instead of playing the F#m chord at the 2nd fret, try playing it with a type "barre Am" chord at the 9th fret and it will sound even closer to the recording. It is an easy change because of the C#m chord at the 4th fret, just quickly move up. :D

I have been thinking of tabbing out Taking Care of Business, another favorite of mine, if so I will tab out the solo.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote