Clear all

Beatles Competition

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Was in Liverpool last night (Saturday) to see Status Quo, who were fabulous as always....stayed overnight and called in the Cavern Pub today. While I was there, picked up a few goodies to give away...a Cavern Club t-shirt (size Large)

and some plectrums and badges.....

So, first one to answer some Beatles questions wins the t-shirt, five runners-up get a pick and a badge.....

Question one .... which song is George Martin talking about here?

"When they played this to me, first of all I thought it was great, but one thing struck as being very odd and that was because they sort of finished on this curious singingchord which was a major sixth with George doing the sixth and the others doing the third and fifth in the chord. It was just like a Glenn Miller arrangement."

Question two..... in February 1966, Peter and Gordon released a single called Woman, written by Paul McCartney under an assumed name...what was his alias?

Question three....George co-wrote the song "Badge" with Eric Clapton...how did the song get it's title? (Hint....The answer is in a guitarnoise forum, I know because I posted it....)

Question four.... In September 1963, George flew to Illinois to visit his sister, Louise...while he was there, he bought an album by James Ray which included a track George later recorded...but what was it called? (It was a big hit in the UK, don't know how it did elsewhere)

Question five.... What was significant about the 30th of January 1969?

If nobody gets all five after a week, the first one to get four wins the t-shirt.....

Good luck!....PM me with the answers....

:D :D :D

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

Edit:

I'm stupid!!!!

just stopped to think about reasons to post the answers to a competition in public.
Sorry, Vic, all.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Please don't post them there, where anyone can see them....send me a private message.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I just read most of this in the "beatles off the record" by Kieth Badham. I bought it because of a post I read about George and Eric Clapton talking about "Here comes the sun". I believe you posted that?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

just checking to see if my entry was received?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I let this run for a while....

Gunslinger gets the shirt....beat Twisted Lefty to it by about an hour....

and an honourable mention to Jewtemplar, got 4 out of 5 ---- the one you missed, JT, was "She Loves You"....

answers were.....

1 - She Loves You
2 - Bernard Webb
3 - Eric was reading Gearge's work upside down, mis-read the word "Bridge" as "Badge"
4 - Got My Mind Set On You
5 - Last time the fab four played live...the "rooftop concert"

oh yeah....another honourable ention to Clideguitar, who sussed out exactly where I got the questions from....The Beatles - Off The Record by Keith Badham....the two quotes I posted were in the Easy Song Database as a bit of trivia to add to Wes Inman's tab of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Thanx for doing this Vic it was fun.

i had to rack my brain on #2 .
i knew i had heard the answer to that one b4 but just could not remember so i admit i googled that one :oops:

congrats gunslinger!, i can't blame time zones this time either. good job :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Congrats yourself, since not everyone can be on at the same time. It was just luck that I happened to see it when I did. I knew that #2 was one of a couple of answers, I just really didn't remember which it was.

It was a lot of fun Vic, thanks!

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

"And if you don't know where you're going,
Any road'll take you there." ...George Harrison

I just heard this either last night or this morning? Is it in a song? Or in the book by "Kieth Badham". Is it in Anthology 3? It's gotta be in a song or he's says it before one of the records.

Man that's erie!!! Because I remember thinking, "What a great saying"

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

http://www.lyrix.at/de/text_show/ba8ad7ecca26113f8bbe9f02500a52de

any road ~ George Harrison

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I didn't get any answers :oops: But i believe George also bought his 12 string Ric. on that 1963 trip to the U.S.A. --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote