Free to Good Home, Hammond Model D Organ in Wisconsin

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Trying to help a Hammond find a home.

A gentleman on the Hamtech list has brought to the attention of the members a Hammond Model D organ with Hammond tone cabinet that's being disposed of by someone else who's clearing out the house of the deceased owner. This is a 1939 organ, the equivalent of the BC model in a C-style cabinet. They just called it a D instead of a "CC." That means that it has two tonewheel tone generators in it, the second "chorus" one being deliberately slightly out of tune with the main one to produce a beat frequency modulating the tone, a technique borrowed from the "celeste" pipe pairings of pipe organs. This organ's preamp and tone cabinet are equipped with some rather interesting old tubes. (A 56 and 57 in the preamp.) I understand it to be in reasonably good shape, but don't know details.

I would certainly be interested in this old classic, being a nut for old gear and for Hammonds especially. It's actually given me a serious case of HAS. (A variant of GAS.) But Galesville, Wisconsin is 950 miles from me. If I borrowed a Diesel pickup to go get it, I'd be out over $1000 for fuel alone and would have to take two days to do it, so I'm out. I can't bear the thought of something like this being trashed, so I'm hoping someone else can take it. I haven't asked permission to post the relevant phone numbers online, but if you'll E-mail me at (johnculp at chartertn dot net) I'll pass the contact info along to you.

If you want more info about the model, Google the Hammond BC model. Same thing, different case. The C case is the "church style," more upright case with closed back. It's not a B-3, it doesn't have a scanner vibrato (it has the chorus generator instead), and it doesn't have percussion. It is a genuine tonewheel Hammond with all-tube circuitry, and the chorus feature makes it one of the more interesting models. A piece of history from the early days of Hammond.

Someone acquiring an old Hammond should be willing to tinker. There's lots of information, parts and supplies available online, as well as professional service people in Wisconsin and around the country.

I can't imagine a musician who wouldn't love an old Hammond organ. They are really cool. If you're in striking distance of Wisconsin, check it out.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've gotten inquiries from, and forwarded contact info to, a couple of fellows who sound serious about it. I don't think the old gal's headed for the landfill.

I'll still pass along the info to anyone who's interested, of course. It ain't over till it's over.

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Just heard over on the Guitar Player board from a fellow who said his keyboard player's called and is going to pick it up. :D

Sounds like he's a fellow who knows Hammonds, already has more than one, and knows how to work on and care for them.

HAS is worse than GAS.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

HAS is worse than GAS
Imagine the SPACE they take up in your house if you have multiples!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Imagine the SPACE they take up in your house if you have multiples!

MargaretIndeed. My wife "reminded" me that we don't have room for another.

Maybe I could squeeze in a poor, orphan Leslie, however...

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I'd love to have it , but i don't have the room and i don't live in Wisconsin

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

It deserves a good home, I'm glad there will be a happy ending to this story :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers