Skip to content
A good metal/rock a...

Notifications
Clear all

A good metal/rock amp (need recommendations)

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rock-musician)
Topic starter  

I want a good metal/hard rock amp with high gain for practice and jam sessions, maybe up to 30 W but not more. If it has built is effects, that's good but its not really a necessity for me. I heard tube amps are good. If I can get one inside my budget, that would be great. I can spend around $500. What's the best I can get?

I'll also be getting a ESP M-II or a high end Dean. So recommend amps that would go with that guitar.

(@alangreen)

Welcome aboard.

Anything with the word Marshall on it should do the job nicely and something like the MG30DFX comes in well under budget with reverb, delay, flange and something else built in. I have one.

Anything with the word VOX on it will do just as well. Get a 30W Valvetronic and there's an Instant AC30 button. Similar price to the Marshall.

Both of those are solid state and reliable. Some of the other guys here will have good ideas about tubes.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

It's really about personal taste, so make sure you try as many amps as you can, preferably with the guitar you are going to be using. Good luck! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I'm going to have to disagree with Alan on this. Marshall is great, but the MG series amps have a really horrible reputation (with good reason). I've played two of them in separate settings and both sounded "tinny", and I've heard they have build problems but I can't comment on this.

Get a Roland Cube 30x. Cheap, great metal amp. Don't take my word for it, go read some reviews :)

ReplyQuote
(@scrtchy)
Estimable Member

Another possibility for a tube amp is the Peavey ValveKing series. They are affordable but some I have listened to sound boxy while others sound real nice. One of my students who is into metal just bought a 2x12 combo and it sounds great, I had basically dismissed these amps until I heard the one he had bought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7EoehgpsA

http://www.daughtersandsons.net -Cincinnati CEA Award winners for best original RnB/Funk band! (Bragging is in the user manual and encouraged)(Hi Mom)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

+1 for Valveking.

Or Roland.

Or Vox Valvetronix.

The new Peavey Vypyr looks good for rock/metal too.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote