Clear all

can you mod a volume pedal to 10k?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@sach_160)
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I bought an Ernie Ball volume pedal (25k log. pot) to use as an expression pedal on my eventide eclipse which i've now found out needs a linear pot of between 5k and 20k.

On the ernie ball site it says pedal pots should not be modded - but manufacturers always say things like that! does anyone know if its possible /worth getting a tech to d, or is it definitely not gonna work?

Or can anyone recommend a decent robust 10k linear vol pedal with a good sweep range (more sweep than those roland ev5s)?

thanks for the help!

sache

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Hi all,

I bought an Ernie Ball volume pedal (25k log. pot) to use as an expression pedal on my eventide eclipse which i've now found out needs a linear pot of between 5k and 20k.

On the ernie ball site it says pedal pots should not be modded - but manufacturers always say things like that! does anyone know if its possible /worth getting a tech to d, or is it definitely not gonna work?

Or can anyone recommend a decent robust 10k linear vol pedal with a good sweep range (more sweep than those roland ev5s)?

thanks for the help!

sache
They're two different things. Linear means that the resistance goes up evenly - it'll be a straight line on a graph, and Logarithmic goes up exponetially - it'll be a curve on a graph.

Volume pots have to be logarithmic, as our hearing is logarithmic. This is why you need about 10 times as much power in an amp to make it sound twice as loud.

The volume pedal has a 25k log pot, and I imagine they've chosen 25k for a reason. In theory any value will work as it's the position of the slider inside relative to the ends of the track it slides along that's important, but in practice it can have an effect on tone. If Ernie ball says leave it, I'd leave it :wink: As for the range, they all go from zero volume to full volume, don't they?

Now, you can't have one pedal do both jobs, but if you decide that you don't want a volume pedal and want to use the shell of it as an expression pedal, you'll need to replace the all the gubbins inside. You'll need to find a 15k linear pot and a 5k resisitor as well, and wire them up in series to give you a 5k to 20k linear range.

Far easier to just buy an expression pedal and keep the volume pedal I would have thought?

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@sach_160)
Topic starter  

many thanks for the excellent reply misanthrope - i finally understand!

can you recommend any expression pedals that are sturdy in the way ernie ball pedals are and that have a good sweep rage (like ernies)?

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I have absolutely no idea, sorry :( Fear not though, someone's bound to pop up any second with an answer, they always do :)

(I've got one built in to my Zoom, but that's about all I've ever used by way of expression pedals - I only know what I do from tinkering with electronics).

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote